Review of Various Artists’ “WOW Gospel 2013” Album
What is the best way of getting some of the most popular Gospel songs on a CD without spending a fortune collecting all the individual albums? WOW Gospel 2013 is the answer. EMI Christian/RCA Inspiration compiled the best songs in the genre for this two-CD collection. Gathering songs from across various labels with artists taking a reduced royalty rate, WOW Gospel series is able to pack as any as 30 songs on two discs. And they represent the best of Gospel music released to radio in 2012. Though fans can gripe over what song from their favorite artist should or should not be included on the whole WOW Gospel 2013 is well served.
Like Us on Facebook
WOW Gospel 2013 features Grammy nominated artists such as Israel Houghton and the New Breed, James Fortune and Marvin Sapp. With such a star studded list, this record is difficult to fault. To date, the WOW series has been Christian music's most successful franchise. And it comes as no surprise WOW Gospel 2013 debut at the top position on Billboard's Gospel album chart.
Each installment of WOW Gospel pays homage to one American city. Over the years, WOW Gospel has had paid its respect to cities such as Los Angeles, California, Detroit, Chicago and so forth. Fronting the cover of WOW Gospel 2013 is the city of Atlanta. With a legacy that includes William Murphy III, Dottie Peoples, Reverend Jasper Williams, Bishop James Morton and the Pace Sisters, Atlanta is indispensable when it comes to Gospel music. Further, Atlanta hosts the annual GMA Dove Awards, the equivalent of the Grammys for Christian music. Atlanta was a focal point in the Civil Rights Movement. This year also marks the fiftieth anniversary of the March on Washington and Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.'s "I Have a Dream" speech. To celebrate this historic milestone, WOW Gospel 203 has included an exclusive track "Keep Dreaming" by Dominque Jones.
With 30 great songs, it's difficult to pick one favorite. One of the most touching albums released last year hadto be Marvin Sapp's "I Win." This is the first album since the death of Sapp's wife, Malinda, in 2010. When Sapp sings about his trying ordeals in "My Testimony" the emotions are powerfully raw.
Another album that was a landmark last year was the number one record by Charles Jenkins and Fellowship Chicago. Though the Fellowship Chicago has been around for eons, it has always been led by Rev. Clay Evans. When the torch is finally passed to Pastor Charles Jenkins, the flame burnt brightly with the lead single "Awesome." Living up to its title, "Awesome" was the first number one for Fellowship Chicago since 1996. The ever reliable Andrae Couch returns with the hymn-like choir fronted "God is On Our Side" taken from his 18th album "The Journey." It has all the marks of greatness: God-centered words and a melody that is succinct without showboating.
The ladies equally excel with the tiara going to newcomer Jessica Reedy. With a colorful past before coming to Christ, Reedy affirms the power of God's transformative power on the ballad "Something Out of Nothing." Grammy nominated Anita Wilson gives a reggae take of "All About You" while family group forever Jones delivers a gorgeous string laden ballad "Every Moment." WOW Gospel 2013 is an overabundance of great tunes; and if you really want the best of last year Gospel greats look no further.
- Creation Festival 2013 NORTHEAST: June 26-29 in Mt. Union,PA - NORTHWEST: August 7-10 in Enumclaw,WA
- Mark Schultz Says 'I Gave Up' In New Radio Single
- Monroe Hopper Passes Away
- Laurie Cardoza Moore to address WCICC Leadership
- Word Entertainment & 25 Entertainment Announce The 2013-14 "Girls of Grace" Season Presented By Childfund (VIDEO)
- Luminate Enjoys Success on Rock N' Worship Roadshow & Believe Tours
- Francesca Battistelli New Album Coming Out Soon?
- Laura Story's 'Blessings' Album Goes Gold, Joins Show Hope Concert May 26 in Nashville with Casting Crowns, Steven Curtis Chapman & Others
- GAYE ARBUCKLE Releases HOLY
- Red Roots to appear on The American Bible Challenge on GSN
- Second Edition Of Dr. Michael Milton's SILENT NO MORE Releases Amid High-Profile Accolades
- Mars Hill Music's Citizens Releases Self-Titled LP
- All Sons & Daughters Release First Live CD/DVD April 23
- Josh Wilson Releases His Most Personal Record To Date, 'Carry Me,' On Apr. 9
- KEITH ELGIN RELEASES AWARD-WINNING SINGLE TO RADIO
- Darlene Zschech, To Declare The Truth of God - Revealing Jesus, by Melissa Riddle Chalos
Get the latest news from BC in your inbox
- THIS WEEK