"The Vikings," The History Channel's Original Series Post Strong Numbers
It was a big night for The History Channel last Sunday night with the premiere of "The Bible". The 10-hour, 5 part, live-action mini series produced by "Survivor" and "Celebrity Apprentice" executive producer Mark Burnett along with his wife Roma Downey ("Touched by an Angel") came in with a huge rating of 13.1 with its premiere episode. The History Channel expected big ratings with the 'The Bible' mini series as they scheduled it to be the lead for their original series "Vikings" which premiered the week before.
Like Us on Facebook
The plan did not go as well as expected though with 'Vikings' dipping to a 8.2 rating. The 'Vikings' series, created and written by Michael Hirst (Elizabeth, The Tudors) is set in 8th Century Scandinavia. The main character is Ragnar, played by Travis Fimmel, who is a warrior and farmer longing to explore and raid the unknown lands of the west. Ragnar enlists the help of his buddy and boat builder Floki (Gustaf Skarsgard) to construct a ship worthy of rivaling the northern seas.
The leadership of the community has plans to raid east which is already a growing tension in from the first episode. There is heavy interplay between Ragnar's wife, Lagertha (Katheryn Winnick) and son early which shows a more heart felt side to the series and shows the tender side of the rough and rugged warrior.
'The Bible' series definitely seems to connect with a broader audience. Biblical films/series always seem to raise interest from people no matter where they stand on Christianity. Many watch the show wanting to see it be great and inspiring, while some watch in hopes it is a poorly acted and poorly directed flop so they can criticize everything about it. Thankfully after the premiere episode, it seems they have a great cast of actors and special effects team to really give us a picture of the stories of the Bible like never before.
- Mark Schultz Says 'I Gave Up' In New Radio Single
- Monroe Hopper Passes Away
- Laurie Cardoza Moore to address WCICC Leadership
- Word Entertainment & 25 Entertainment Announce The 2013-14 "Girls of Grace" Season Presented By Childfund (VIDEO)
- Luminate Enjoys Success on Rock N' Worship Roadshow & Believe Tours
- Francesca Battistelli New Album Coming Out Soon?
- Laura Story's 'Blessings' Album Goes Gold, Joins Show Hope Concert May 26 in Nashville with Casting Crowns, Steven Curtis Chapman & Others
- Casting Crowns Release Acoustic Album, Get K-Love Awards Nomination & Make Cameo in New Movie
- GAYE ARBUCKLE Releases HOLY
- Red Roots to appear on The American Bible Challenge on GSN
- Second Edition Of Dr. Michael Milton's SILENT NO MORE Releases Amid High-Profile Accolades
- Mars Hill Music's Citizens Releases Self-Titled LP
- All Sons & Daughters Release First Live CD/DVD April 23
- Josh Wilson Releases His Most Personal Record To Date, 'Carry Me,' On Apr. 9
- KEITH ELGIN RELEASES AWARD-WINNING SINGLE TO RADIO
- Darlene Zschech, To Declare The Truth of God - Revealing Jesus, by Melissa Riddle Chalos
Get the latest news from BC in your inbox
- THIS WEEK