New Artist Victoria Griffith Performs at 4th Annual 'Rock the Block' Event
New artist Victoria Griffith recently shared the stage with Dove Award nominated City of Peace Media recording artist John Waller and actor Ben Davies, star of the film Courageous, at the 4th Annual "Rock the Block" event at Caldwell Elementary School in Scottsboro, Ala. Griffith, who performed songs from her upcoming debut CD, Wellspring in the Wilderness, Waller and Davies were among a number of Christian entertainers who appeared at the benefit concert to solicit donations of school supplies for students in need.
Like Us on Facebook
"This event was particularly special for me," Griffith says. "I still teach high school at my alma mater while pursuing my music career, and I see kids who often come to school empty-handed. A few of them do this by choice - the stereotypical teen - but others don't have the means for supplies, which is truly heart wrenching. Now, a large number of those kids won't be empty-handed, because donations to the 'Rock the Block' concert filled two school buses with supplies!"
"Rock the Block" began in 2009 when individuals from various churches throughout Jackson County, Ala., decided to find a way to provide school supplies to underprivileged students. Since the event began, thousands of dollars worth of materials have been distributed to hundreds of area children.
Waller headlined the 2012 event, along with actor Davies, who was the keynote speaker. In addition to Griffith, Waller and Davies, Soul Sister Sally, Cleveland, and Sycamore also were featured acts.
The independently-produced Wellspring in the Wilderness is set for release on October 2 from Griffith, who, while recording the 10-song CD, learned she was pregnant with her first child, followed soon after with news of a brain tumor requiring immediate removal. Navigating this circuitous life path, Griffith has emerged successfully on the other side with a riveting testimony and a CD filled with songs that exude hope and grace, and perfectly showcase the singer's stunning, country-inflected vocals.
For more information on Victoria Griffith and Wellspring in the Wilderness, visit victoriagriffithmusic.com.
Photo caption: Victoria Griffith, left, recently performed at the "Rock The Block" event in Scottsboro, Ala., where Dove Award nominated artist John Waller, right, was the headlining act.
About Victoria Griffith:
Griffith, who as a child was "discovered" by her cousin's voice teacher when she tagged along to a singing lesson, is known throughout her home state of Alabama for her powerful voice. After college, she began teaching English, but kept hearing "a still, small voice" telling her not to give up on the musical talent God had given her. "It was more of a a gentle but irresistible tug at my heart," Griffith explains. "It was an undeniable sense that this was something that I needed to do." Supported by the blessing and encouragement of her husband, Griffith embarked on the adventurous journey of faith that would culminate in the release of her stunning debut CD, Wellspring In the Wilderness.
- Casting Crowns Release Acoustic Album, Get K-Love Awards Nomination & Make Cameo in New Movie
- Big Daddy Weave Releases New Single, "The Only Name," To Radio Today
- Deitrick Haddon Nominated for 2013 BET Award-A Beautiful Soul CD
- Carman Announces 60-City U.S. Tour, Offers Tickets to Kickstarter Backers 1st as Kickstarter Campaign Exceeds $233,000, Becomes 2nd Most Successful Kickstarter Music Project Ever
- Winter Jam Audiences 'Reset' With Nick Hall
- Andrew Peterson Returns To Grand Ole Opry
- Jason Castro Commenced Shooting For The Gmc Movie "The Perfect Summer" On May 13
- Billboard Gospel Chart Debut At #8 For Bishop K.W. Brown Presents Earl Bynum and The Mount Unity Choir
- GAYE ARBUCKLE Releases HOLY
- Red Roots to appear on The American Bible Challenge on GSN
- Second Edition Of Dr. Michael Milton's SILENT NO MORE Releases Amid High-Profile Accolades
- Mars Hill Music's Citizens Releases Self-Titled LP
- All Sons & Daughters Release First Live CD/DVD April 23
- Josh Wilson Releases His Most Personal Record To Date, 'Carry Me,' On Apr. 9
- KEITH ELGIN RELEASES AWARD-WINNING SINGLE TO RADIO
- Darlene Zschech, To Declare The Truth of God - Revealing Jesus, by Melissa Riddle Chalos
Get the latest news from BC in your inbox
- THIS WEEK