"The Bible" on History Channel: Who is Nonso Anozie, the Actor Who Plays 'Samson'
Nonso Anozie made his appearance as Samson last Sunday on History Channel's epic new miniseries, "The Bible". Though the British actor's breakout role was Xaro Xhoan Daxos in HBO's critically acclaimed ratings giant "Game of Thrones," the 6"9 warrior is switching gears to be a part of Mark Burnett ("Survivor", "The Voice", "The Apprentice") and Roma Downey's ("Touched By An Angel") new series that updates scriptures with a diverse cast and CGI effects.
A church-going man, Anozie definitely believes that God works in mysterious ways in everybody's life.
Like Us on Facebook
"It's funny, you know how people say divine intervention? I go to church regularly, and my pastor gives me passages to read to the congregation, and I do that quite regularly. So January of last year, he gave me a piece about Samson -- about how God had given you a blessing and how you have to be careful with it. Then I got a phone call; they wanted me for another role. I said I do like the role of Samson if they haven't cast that yet. So the fact that it was the last thing I read in church really stood out to me."
When asked about working with "The Bible" producers Burnett and Downey, Anozie said the couple was determined to make the series something they really believed in.
"I really love how they shot the series. It was really amazing. It was really a good spirit and energy. I never met people who had such enthusiasm for what they're doing. They are just two individuals who are driven. Everything that was shot, they were there to oversee."
Anozie did say being on set during filming was surreal and intense. Not everybody working on "The Bible" was a Christian, but were still 100% committed to the project.
"It was really intense. The Noah people were leaving, the Jesus people were coming. You could see everybody. There was one actor who was the most atheist, but when you see his scene, it was so amazing to watch. It was really evidence to me that I was a part of something that's meant to touch people."
Tune in for episode 3 of "The Bible" on History Channel at 8 p.m. EST. This weeks episode "Hope/Survival" will feature Jesus Christ for the first time.
- Brandon Heath's 'Blue Mountain' Album, Touring & K-LOVE Awards Nominations
- TobyMac Introduces Recent Gotee Records Signee, Ryan Stevenson
- Mark Schultz "All Things Possible" Cruise Tour 2014 / Jimmy Needham and Cindy Morgan Special Guests
- Jason Castro Shooting for GMC Movie "The Perfect Summer" / 2013 Tour with Sidewalk Prophets, Ryan Cabrera, Deleasa
- The Lost Medallion: The Adventures of Billy Stone (2013) Releases on DVD at Wal-mart, Watch Trailer (VIDEO)
- David M. Edwards Releases New Gospel Album "Heart Full Of Soul" Today / Available On iTunes
- David Crowder* Band Release New "Greatest Hits" Album Today / Songs Like "How He Loves", "O Praise Him" and "Everything Glorious" Featured on New Album
- The Perry's Joseph Habedank to Step Down as Lead Singer of Gospel Group After 10 Years, Read Full Note Here
- GAYE ARBUCKLE Releases HOLY
- Red Roots to appear on The American Bible Challenge on GSN
- Second Edition Of Dr. Michael Milton's SILENT NO MORE Releases Amid High-Profile Accolades
- Mars Hill Music's Citizens Releases Self-Titled LP
- All Sons & Daughters Release First Live CD/DVD April 23
- Josh Wilson Releases His Most Personal Record To Date, 'Carry Me,' On Apr. 9
- KEITH ELGIN RELEASES AWARD-WINNING SINGLE TO RADIO
- Darlene Zschech, To Declare The Truth of God - Revealing Jesus, by Melissa Riddle Chalos
Get the latest news from BC in your inbox
- THIS WEEK