"The Bible" on History Channel: Who is Diogo Morgado, the Actor Who Plays Jesus?
When "The Bible" actor Diogo Morgado received the phone call to audition for the role of Jesus, in History Channel's epic new miniseries, needless to say he was a little scared.
"How can I do someone that everybody knows and everybody has an idea [of] in a different way?" Portuguese actor Morgado says to E! News' Jason Kennedy. "This is the most complete and complex role an actor can play. You can't play Jesus, especially when a lot of other wonderful actors already did that. That was my hardest task, and I really hope people will connect with what I tried to achieve."
Like Us on Facebook
Morgado, 33, is a Portuguese actor who broke onto the scene in 1998 as a regular on Portuguese soap opera Terra Mae. In the upcoming episode 3 of "The Bible" on History Channel, Morgado plays the role of Jesus, son of God.
Along with "The Bible", Morgado will also star in independent films Red Butterfly and Born to Race: Fast Track later in 2013.
Raised as a Catholic, Morgado says playing Jesus Christ in "The Bible" was a humbling experience. When asked at the "National Religious Broadcaster Convention" how he could prepare for the role of Christ on Earth, Morgado replied, "You can't. What I had the privilege of playing was simply the words of Christ and taking the journey of the scriptures.
"Jesus is definitely the most complete and complex figure of mankind; he's just someone who belongs to millions and billions of families all around the world," Morgado told Entertainment Tonight. "Just [given] the chance [to play him], I'm like, 'Okay, I'm going to try to just give an example of my Jesus."
Tune in for episode 3 of "The Bible" ("Survival/Hope") at 8 p.m. EST on History Channel.
- Casting Crowns Release Acoustic Album, Get K-Love Awards Nomination & Make Cameo in New Movie
- Big Daddy Weave Releases New Single, "The Only Name," To Radio Today
- Deitrick Haddon Nominated for 2013 BET Award-A Beautiful Soul CD
- Carman Announces 60-City U.S. Tour, Offers Tickets to Kickstarter Backers 1st as Kickstarter Campaign Exceeds $233,000, Becomes 2nd Most Successful Kickstarter Music Project Ever
- Winter Jam Audiences 'Reset' With Nick Hall
- Andrew Peterson Returns To Grand Ole Opry
- Jason Castro Commenced Shooting For The Gmc Movie "The Perfect Summer" On May 13
- Billboard Gospel Chart Debut At #8 For Bishop K.W. Brown Presents Earl Bynum and The Mount Unity Choir
- GAYE ARBUCKLE Releases HOLY
- Red Roots to appear on The American Bible Challenge on GSN
- Second Edition Of Dr. Michael Milton's SILENT NO MORE Releases Amid High-Profile Accolades
- Mars Hill Music's Citizens Releases Self-Titled LP
- All Sons & Daughters Release First Live CD/DVD April 23
- Josh Wilson Releases His Most Personal Record To Date, 'Carry Me,' On Apr. 9
- KEITH ELGIN RELEASES AWARD-WINNING SINGLE TO RADIO
- Darlene Zschech, To Declare The Truth of God - Revealing Jesus, by Melissa Riddle Chalos
Get the latest news from BC in your inbox
- THIS WEEK