"The Bible" Episode 2, "Homeland" - Black Samson Draws Criticism
With "The Bible", History Channel's new epic miniseries past it's second episode, the Mark Burnett and Roma Downey-produced docudrama is starting to draw some criticism regarding biblical accuracy.
The show has been accused of being breezy and over-produced, glossing over iconic stories loaded with CGI effects and epic battle scenes.
The most talked about story from episode 2, "Homeland" from "The Bible" was Samson. Played by "Game of Thrones" actor Nonso Anozie, who's 6"9 frame was perfect for Samson's God-given strength.
Like Us on Facebook
Unfortunately, many viewers took to the Web voicing their disbelief of Samson being portrayed as black. Most people pictured a fair-skinned in the role, when in reality people of all ethnic groups were living and traveling through the region at that time.
Regardless Nonso Anozie gave a compelling performance in episode two of "The Bible". With massive biceps and dreadlocks down to his bum, I believed every minute that he was God's chosen to deliver Israel from Philistine rule.
Viewers online generally accepted the story of David. Some viewers have said that by the time David fought and killed Goliath he was already an armor bearer for King Saul, and not just a farmer. Changing chronology could have been a time concern. Though "The Bible" is segmented into 2-hour long episodes, the book contains too much, causing producers Burnett and Downey to rearrange some details.
The official ratings have not yet been released for episode 2, "Homeland" of "The Bible". But if they're anywhere close to last weeks 14 million, then the series will prosper greatly. Episode 3 is bound to score millions of viewers with the first introduction of Jesus. Happy Easter History Channel.
- Cancer Survivor Tracy Randall Joins Philadelphia's "Faith Against Cancer" Gospel Concert
- Lisa Page Brooks Meets Stroke Survivor in Baltimore, MD
- Christian Singer Carman Has Successful Kickstarter and Announces 24 State, 60 City Tour!
- Chris Tomlin Tour Hits The Road with the Burning Lights Tour and Live Concert DVD
- Michael W. Smith Announces 2014 “Michael W. Smith & Friends Cruise” To Alaska
- Holly Starr's 'Don't Have Love' Surpasses 500,000 Youtube Views
- New Artist Julie Elias Set To Perform At LifeLight Festival Memorial Day Weekend
- Christian Musician Summit Launches New Retail Website for Church Musicians
- GAYE ARBUCKLE Releases HOLY
- Red Roots to appear on The American Bible Challenge on GSN
- Second Edition Of Dr. Michael Milton's SILENT NO MORE Releases Amid High-Profile Accolades
- Mars Hill Music's Citizens Releases Self-Titled LP
- All Sons & Daughters Release First Live CD/DVD April 23
- Josh Wilson Releases His Most Personal Record To Date, 'Carry Me,' On Apr. 9
- KEITH ELGIN RELEASES AWARD-WINNING SINGLE TO RADIO
- Darlene Zschech, To Declare The Truth of God - Revealing Jesus, by Melissa Riddle Chalos
- EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW: Mike Weaver of Big Daddy Weave Speaks on K-Love Fan Nominations, Their Hit Song "Redeemed" & New Music on the Way
- Interview: Bryan Duncan Talks About His New Album "Conversations."
- EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW: Jeremiah Jones Talks About Laura Story's Hit Song, His New Album and Song Writing
Get the latest news from BC in your inbox
- THIS WEEK