Storm In Northeast Leaves 4 Dead, 2 Feet of Snow [STORM UPDATE]
The heavy storm that fell on top of the Northeast Friday left behind at least 4 deaths and 2 feet of snow. It also left over 600,000 homes and businesses with no electricity.
The still raw memory of Hurricane Sandy was inflamed last night as a vast storm descended on the Northeast Friday night. Flooding, heavy snow and wind threaten New England, and a still wounded New Jersey and New York.
Massachusetts banned all vehicles from the state's roads. New York, Connecticut, New Hampshire and Road Island had declared states of emergency.
Like Us on Facebook
Unfortunately for New England, according to meteorologists, that was a only the beginning of the storm. The storm is projected to run through Saturday afternoon.
New York City Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg is trying to maintain a calm city. This week in preparation he urged people not to panic or "panic buy" [gasoline]. He reassured them of the city's plentiful supply.
Some people think the storm is mostly hype. Some business owners are even trying to capitalize on the spectacle.
"These aren't flakes falling from the sky; these are dollar bills," said Ed Carrier sitting in a Portsmouth coffee shop. He was referring to a winter sports surge.
Thirsty Moose Taphouse even offered drink specials in light of the dangerous storm. $3 porters and stouts, while it snows.
The 4 storm-related deaths seem to have been caused mostly by people losing control of their cars and hitting nearby pedestrians. 74-year old Poughkeepsie man was kit by an 18-year old driver who lost control of the car; another in Prospect, Connecticut. An 80-year old woman died from exhaustion shoveling snow and ice out of her drive-way in South Ontario. 2 other men died in car collisions.
- Francesca Battistelli New Album Coming Out Soon?
- Laura Story's 'Blessings' Album Goes Gold, Joins Show Hope Concert May 26 in Nashville with Casting Crowns, Steven Curtis Chapman & Others
- Casting Crowns Release Acoustic Album, Get K-Love Awards Nomination & Make Cameo in New Movie
- Big Daddy Weave Releases New Single, "The Only Name," To Radio Today
- Deitrick Haddon Nominated for 2013 BET Award-A Beautiful Soul CD
- Carman Announces 60-City U.S. Tour, Offers Tickets to Kickstarter Backers 1st as Kickstarter Campaign Exceeds $233,000, Becomes 2nd Most Successful Kickstarter Music Project Ever
- Winter Jam Audiences 'Reset' With Nick Hall
- Andrew Peterson Returns To Grand Ole Opry
- GAYE ARBUCKLE Releases HOLY
- Red Roots to appear on The American Bible Challenge on GSN
- Second Edition Of Dr. Michael Milton's SILENT NO MORE Releases Amid High-Profile Accolades
- Mars Hill Music's Citizens Releases Self-Titled LP
- All Sons & Daughters Release First Live CD/DVD April 23
- Josh Wilson Releases His Most Personal Record To Date, 'Carry Me,' On Apr. 9
- KEITH ELGIN RELEASES AWARD-WINNING SINGLE TO RADIO
- Darlene Zschech, To Declare The Truth of God - Revealing Jesus, by Melissa Riddle Chalos
Get the latest news from BC in your inbox
- THIS WEEK