Real Housewives of Atlanta Star Kandi Brruss Sings Gospel with Marvin Sapp
Gospel artist Marvin Sapp recorded a duet several months back with Kandi Burruss, star of Bravo TV's reality show The Real Housewives of Atlanta, titled "Stay Prayed Up."
This has caused an uproar among many Christians mainly because Kandi Burruss sells a line of sex toys and is living with her boyfriend in a home they share together. Marvin Sapp and Kandi Burruss were hoping that the positive message of the song would be a uniter for people despite their differing lifestyles.
Like Us on Facebook
Kandi Burruss took to her blog on Bravo's website to address the criticism, stating, "Thank God I don't let things get to me. I'm a very open and honest person. I say what I want to say when I want to say it. If I feel like doing something, I do it. I felt that I wanted to do this song, so I did, and I'm glad I did. This song is my testimony."
Marvin Sapp as well took to his Facebook page to make his first - and only - statements on the song. Here is what he wrote in his post in its entirety:
"Usually I don't respond to people about things like this however I must this time. The problem with many in the church is 1.) that we major in minors and 2.) ignorant (not well studied) of scripture.Lets deal with the first, This woman who was an ex R&B singer that sells sex toys and live with her man decided on a show that reaches 10 million viewers per showing (believers and unbelievers) to sing about... Not sex toys, drugs or living with a man but PRAYER!!!!!! and the saints are upset.The lyric says, "I stay prayed up, that gets me by, that how I made it through my darkest time, see I'm a sinner and thats no lie, but thank God my prayers are heard because he knows I try" Wow!!!!! nothing elicit or comprising about the lyric....So lets look at how Jesus dealt with the sinner.....
From my study of scripture the only people he checked was the church (religious people of that day) however the sinner he consistently showed COMPASSION!!!!!!! Examples...... Woman caught in the ACT of adultery Also the Woman at the well....... Never exposed them publicly, dealt with them privately. We as believer major in minors...... So caught up in the messenger that we are missing the message "Staying Prayed UP".Now I close with this...Everyone that God used in scripture was flawed and or had struggles.... Let me call the roll..... Moses was a murderer, Rahab was a harlet (whore), David was a murder/adulter and still considered a man after Gods own heart, Peter was a cutting cusser however was in the inner circle of Jesus, Paul was a murderer and made many blaspheme against God however wrote 2/3 of the NT, He spoke through a Donkey and if we decide to be quite rocks will cry out...We say we are christians which means being Christ-like but question peoples motives that model his behavior....The bible speaks about witnessing and that you need to be wise to win souls and Paul says I became all things to all men that I might win some.... Compromise was never done here nor do I condone her life style or life choices and keeping 100 you don't know the off camera conversation we had. Again big picture 10 million people at 1 time were challenged to PRAY in difficult times WOW!!!! Thats Awesome and Ministy.....PS Didn't spell check because I'm late to a meeting.... Be Blessed"
Grammy, Dove and Stellar Award-winning producer and songwriter, Billy Dorsey share Marvin Sapp's views on the matter, also noting Christ's tendency to step outside of the church in his ministry."If Marvin Sapp is looking at it from a ministry perspective, Jesus didn't hang around with the people "church folk" figured He should have," says Dorsey. "He hung out with those who in all aspects were beneath His righteousness, but He used that to lift them up to greatness. You can't help someone up if you're not willing to get close enough to let them lean on you."
Hopefully in the end, people can enjoy the song for its message and if they do look at the artists singing it, just remember that we all are flawed in God's eyes and His grace covers all of us.
- Tquan Moore Selected For Springboard South Music Festival
- Devin Mcglamery Celebrates Love Is A Verb Release
- Javen & Friends Send Praises High During CD Release Concert
- Smokie Norful's Song Say So Available Digitally May 28th
- Cancer Survivor Tracy Randall Joins Philadelphia's "Faith Against Cancer" Gospel Concert
- Lisa Page Brooks Meets Stroke Survivor in Baltimore, MD
- Christian Singer Carman Has Successful Kickstarter and Announces 24 State, 60 City Tour!
- Chris Tomlin Tour Hits The Road with the Burning Lights Tour and Live Concert DVD
- GAYE ARBUCKLE Releases HOLY
- Red Roots to appear on The American Bible Challenge on GSN
- Second Edition Of Dr. Michael Milton's SILENT NO MORE Releases Amid High-Profile Accolades
- Mars Hill Music's Citizens Releases Self-Titled LP
- All Sons & Daughters Release First Live CD/DVD April 23
- Josh Wilson Releases His Most Personal Record To Date, 'Carry Me,' On Apr. 9
- KEITH ELGIN RELEASES AWARD-WINNING SINGLE TO RADIO
- Darlene Zschech, To Declare The Truth of God - Revealing Jesus, by Melissa Riddle Chalos
- EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW: Mike Weaver of Big Daddy Weave Speaks on K-Love Fan Nominations, Their Hit Song "Redeemed" & New Music on the Way
- Interview: Bryan Duncan Talks About His New Album "Conversations."
- EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW: Jeremiah Jones Talks About Laura Story's Hit Song, His New Album and Song Writing
Get the latest news from BC in your inbox
- THIS WEEK