Pope No More
Pope Benedict XVI officially resigned office at 2pm eastern time today. Benedict's resignation leaves the Roman Catholic Church without leadership until clerics elect a candidate to succeed him. Vatican leaders hope to have a new pope in place by Easter.
Benedict's time as pope will be mostly remembered for the numerous scandals the church faced and his inability to move the church forward into the modern era. His supporters will remember him as a staunch proponent of traditional church doctrine who attempted to unite the splintered Catholic Church.
Like Us on Facebook
He left the Vatican via helicopter earlier today to start his retirement at a summer retreat used by popes for centuries.
The crowd outside St. Peter's Square cheered as Benedict made his final exit from the Vatican. Church bells rang as people stood on rooftops waving flags and scarves as the helicopter carrying Benedict flew overhead en route to Castel Gandolfo, the hilltop town where the summer retreat is located.
Upon arrival at Castel Gandolfo, Benedict addressed the crowd that had gathered to greet him.
"Dear friends, I am happy to be with you! Thanks for your friendship and affection! You know this is a different day than most."
- Francesca Battistelli New Album Coming Out Soon?
- Laura Story's 'Blessings' Album Goes Gold, Joins Show Hope Concert May 26 in Nashville with Casting Crowns, Steven Curtis Chapman & Others
- Casting Crowns Release Acoustic Album, Get K-Love Awards Nomination & Make Cameo in New Movie
- Big Daddy Weave Releases New Single, "The Only Name," To Radio Today
- Deitrick Haddon Nominated for 2013 BET Award-A Beautiful Soul CD
- Carman Announces 60-City U.S. Tour, Offers Tickets to Kickstarter Backers 1st as Kickstarter Campaign Exceeds $233,000, Becomes 2nd Most Successful Kickstarter Music Project Ever
- Winter Jam Audiences 'Reset' With Nick Hall
- Andrew Peterson Returns To Grand Ole Opry
- GAYE ARBUCKLE Releases HOLY
- Red Roots to appear on The American Bible Challenge on GSN
- Second Edition Of Dr. Michael Milton's SILENT NO MORE Releases Amid High-Profile Accolades
- Mars Hill Music's Citizens Releases Self-Titled LP
- All Sons & Daughters Release First Live CD/DVD April 23
- Josh Wilson Releases His Most Personal Record To Date, 'Carry Me,' On Apr. 9
- KEITH ELGIN RELEASES AWARD-WINNING SINGLE TO RADIO
- Darlene Zschech, To Declare The Truth of God - Revealing Jesus, by Melissa Riddle Chalos
Get the latest news from BC in your inbox
- THIS WEEK