Paul Wilbur Q&A
1. Congratulations on your new album "Your Great Name." This is your first studio album in 20 years, what took so long?
The vision for all my projects with Integrity Music has been to capture the reality and anointing that happens in real time and share it with a larger congregation. The special moments in Jerusalem with the Shalom Jerusalem, Arise, Lion of Judah, and Desert Rain projects were obviously not possible in a studio, and would have been lost forever without the recorders and cameras. This new season in the recording industry of greatly reduced budgets has caused everyone to think differently about production, which includes location. However, even with the new limitations, I am very pleased to tell you that the anointing and "special moments" of the live projects have found their way into this studio production!
Like Us on Facebook
2. On your new album as well as all your albums, you have brought out the Old Testament/Jewish roots of our faith, why do you think this is important?
Well, in your question you mention "roots." How important are roots to a tree or plant? The roots are not the source of life, but they do transmit the life to the rest of the plant. They are also an anchor for the tree in a storm and keep the plant from being pulled out and driven away by the strong winds. As marvellous and life giving as the New Covenant is, it does not stand on it's own; it did not simply appear out of thin air, it has a root and a foundation, and don't forget to whom it was first promised. This is part of the richness and depth of our faith that I constantly affirm and use as a very deep well of inspiration for praise and worship material.
3. I absolutely love your new record especially, "Glory Come Down," "Nobody Like You" and "Song of the Beautiful Bride," what are your favorite songs?
Well, thank you! The songs I write or co-write are something like children to me. They are prayed over, developed, crafted, re-worked, more prayer, until the finished work appears - so choosing favourites is difficult for me. However...having said that, I do think the "Song of the Bride" is pretty special. From the moment the thought came for the song to the moment we knew it was complete, it took on a life all its own. The lyrics flowed so easily and seemed to almost sing itself into existence; more like taking dictation than writing something new. I also love "Song of Ezekiel" for its power and prophetic message. "Prepare the Way" is lots of fun to sing and declare; there really is something for everyone on the record!
4. Why did you choose to record "Your Great Name" (formerly performed by Natalie Grant)?
I chose "Your Great Name" by my friend Michael Neale because it is not only a great song, but also the message fit the vision of the record perfectly! Several months ago, the Lord said to me, "If you have a need...I have a name...call on the name of the Lord!" So all the songs on this project were designed to reveal another covenant name for the people to call on.
5. Are there any interesting stories behind the compositions of any of these new songs that you would like to share with us?
Each song has a life and story of it's own, but here's a short one for "We Will Run." I originally wrote that song as two separate songs for the Desert Rain album several years ago. But as it turned out, we had plenty of great songs to choose from and "We Will Run" was dropped from the list. When we started putting a songlist together for Your Great Name, I was missing an up-tempo Messianic dance song, so...I went back to my older, not yet recorded material and put the two songs together and upped the tempo, and voila! "We Will Run" was born!
6. You are also releasing a Spanish album together with "Your Great Name," can you tell us more about this Spanish record?
Yes, we are in the midst of producing the Spanish project at this very moment. In fact, as I answer your questions I am sitting in a hotel lobby in Coatzacoalcos, Mexico preparing for the live concert/recording tomorrow night! Spanish has become a very important part of our ministry for more than 10 years now, and we are always greeted by very large and enthusiastic audiences all over the Spanish speaking world. Crowds of 10,000-50,000 are not uncommon for us in Latin America.
7. What are your recording plans for the future? Is there a Christmas album in the works? A duet album?
I am very excited about several recording projects. First I want to do an album of all Psalms, acoustic and intimate, something from the pasture, Davidic so to speak. I want to do an updated project of my favourite Lamb songs from the 70's and 80's. Joel Chernoff and I became family when our kids married, and we have developed a very close friendship. Funny you mentioned Christmas as the subject just came up here in Mexico at the breakfast table. I have proposed just such a project to Integrity in the past, but they said it didn't make sense for me to do. Ah, but I beg to differ! We will see what the future holds. :)
- The Perry's Tracy Stuffle Latest Medical Update and Recovery Process
- Chris Tomlin 'Burning Lights' Tour to Have Second Leg This Fall 2013, See Full Dates Here (VIDEO)
- 1 Girl Nation (1GN) Joins Reunion Records And Announces Debut, Self-Titled Release Due August 20
- Plumb Travels to Brooklyn to Experience the Work of Metro World Child
- Tracy Stuffle Medical Update, The Perry's Singer, Having Rough Week in Hospital, Prayers Needed
- EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW: Audio Adrenaline on Red Carpet at K-Love Awards (VIDEO)
- Grammy and Dove Award Nominated Recording Artist Mr. Del, Celebrates Highly Anticipated Project FAITH WALKA
- Matthew West to Perform at First-Ever Sunday Morning at CMA Fest
- GAYE ARBUCKLE Releases HOLY
- Red Roots to appear on The American Bible Challenge on GSN
- Second Edition Of Dr. Michael Milton's SILENT NO MORE Releases Amid High-Profile Accolades
- Mars Hill Music's Citizens Releases Self-Titled LP
- All Sons & Daughters Release First Live CD/DVD April 23
- Josh Wilson Releases His Most Personal Record To Date, 'Carry Me,' On Apr. 9
- KEITH ELGIN RELEASES AWARD-WINNING SINGLE TO RADIO
- Darlene Zschech, To Declare The Truth of God - Revealing Jesus, by Melissa Riddle Chalos
- A Father’s Day Exclusive Interview: Singer/songwriter Todd MacDonald’ Dad Talks about His Son, Death and Being a Dad
- EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW: Mike Weaver of Big Daddy Weave Speaks on K-Love Fan Nominations, Their Hit Song "Redeemed" & New Music on the Way
- Interview: Bryan Duncan Talks About His New Album "Conversations."
Get the latest news from BC in your inbox
- THIS WEEK