Pastor & Author Glenn Packiam Discovers "The Mystery of Faith" with New Music and E-Book
"What if the way we worship isn't just an expression of our faith, but is what shapes our faith?" This is the question posed by pastor/author/worship leader Glenn Packiam as he examines the concept of corporate worship in the light of an ancient Christian faith with his e-book Discover The Mystery of Faith from David C Cook and companion eight-track EP The Mystery of Faith from Integrity Music, both releasing March 5.
Like Us on Facebook
Packiam, who serves as pastor of new life DOWNTOWN in Colorado Springs, Colorado, says the projects represent a renewal of his love of theology and the history of the Church as well as his journey to answer that basic question. He shares a bit of this journey at The Story Behind The Mystery Of Faith.
"I've been looking at congregational worship through new eyes," he explains, "because corporate worship doesn't just reflect our faith, it shapes our faith. And if that's true, then we need to look at the kind of faith that is being produced by our worship services-the singing, the preaching, everything we do when we gather. I can't help but wonder if the anemic faith that plagues the Church today is due, at least in part, to sloppy corporate worship."
"For decades, church leaders told us that how we worship is simply about forms and methods and that we should adjust them based on the people we want to reach," Packiam continues. "But for centuries, the Church Fathers told us that the way we worship and pray together becomes the way we believe, and that we must make sure that everything speaks of Christ and the Gospel. So maybe it's time to take a closer look at what we say, and sing, and do each week."
With his book Discover The Mystery of Faith, Packiam draws from his own discovery of ancient worship practices, helping modern believers understand why the Church has made creedal proclamations and Psalm-praying a regular part of their worship. And he challenges Christians to discover why the Lord's Table has been the climactic point of the liturgy's "re-telling of the salvation story."
"When our worship becomes a rich feast, our faith is nourished and no longer anemic," he adds. "The more our worship speaks of Christ, the more we enter into the mystery of faith."
With The Mystery of Faith EP, Packiam shares six new songs woven together with the Nicene Creed and a spoken-word prayer to express the shared foundational beliefs of Christianity while "telling the story of our faith." The songs were penned by Packiam with guest co-writers Desperation Band's Jon Egan ("Magnified"/"I Am Free"), Dove Award winning "Songwriter of the Year" Jennie Lee Riddle ("Revelation Song"/"One True God), Dove Award winning producer/songwriter Ian Eskelin ("Crazy Love"/ "Beautiful, Beautiful") and best-selling author Ian Cron (Chasing Francis).
The complete tracklist for The Mystery of Faith EP is:
1. Victorious God (Written by Glenn Packiam and IanEskelin)
2. For The Life Of The World (Written by Glenn Packiam and Jon Egan)
3. The Nicene Creed (Version from 381 AD; this translation from the 1979 Book of Common Prayer)
4. Grace Flows Freely Down (Written by Glenn Packiam and Jack Mooring)
5. Prayer of Confession (From the Book of Common Prayer, 1979)
6. We Confess (Written by Glenn Packiam and Ian Cron)
7. The Lord Be With You (Written by Glenn Packiam and Ian Cron)
8. Mystery of Faith (Written by Glenn Packiam and Jennie Lee Riddle)
- The Perry's Tracy Stuffle Latest Medical Update and Recovery Process
- Chris Tomlin 'Burning Lights' Tour to Have Second Leg This Fall 2013, See Full Dates Here (VIDEO)
- 1 Girl Nation (1GN) Joins Reunion Records And Announces Debut, Self-Titled Release Due August 20
- Plumb Travels to Brooklyn to Experience the Work of Metro World Child
- Tracy Stuffle Medical Update, The Perry's Singer, Having Rough Week in Hospital, Prayers Needed
- EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW: Audio Adrenaline on Red Carpet at K-Love Awards (VIDEO)
- Grammy and Dove Award Nominated Recording Artist Mr. Del, Celebrates Highly Anticipated Project FAITH WALKA
- Matthew West to Perform at First-Ever Sunday Morning at CMA Fest
- GAYE ARBUCKLE Releases HOLY
- Red Roots to appear on The American Bible Challenge on GSN
- Second Edition Of Dr. Michael Milton's SILENT NO MORE Releases Amid High-Profile Accolades
- Mars Hill Music's Citizens Releases Self-Titled LP
- All Sons & Daughters Release First Live CD/DVD April 23
- Josh Wilson Releases His Most Personal Record To Date, 'Carry Me,' On Apr. 9
- KEITH ELGIN RELEASES AWARD-WINNING SINGLE TO RADIO
- Darlene Zschech, To Declare The Truth of God - Revealing Jesus, by Melissa Riddle Chalos
- A Father’s Day Exclusive Interview: Singer/songwriter Todd MacDonald’ Dad Talks about His Son, Death and Being a Dad
- EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW: Mike Weaver of Big Daddy Weave Speaks on K-Love Fan Nominations, Their Hit Song "Redeemed" & New Music on the Way
- Interview: Bryan Duncan Talks About His New Album "Conversations."
Get the latest news from BC in your inbox
- THIS WEEK