Owl City Announces Details of New Full-Length Album
Owl City has announced details of his new full-length studio album The Midsummer Station - due out August 21st on Universal Republic. It was a month ago when we announced news of the new album and gave fans a taste of what to expect with the release the Shooting Star EP on Tuesday, May 15th. Since then, through a series of incredibly successful Twitter interviews where #OCTMS trended worldwide, Owl City revealed the details of the album along with the incredible cover art.
Owl City's Adam Young took a bold step forward on the new album by choosing to work with co-writers and outside producers for the first time. For example when it came to working on the first single released to Christian radio, "Shooting Star," he enlisted his friend Matt Thiessen (Relient K), Stargate (Rihanna, Wiz Khalifa) and Robopop (Maroon 5), and on "Gold" - another focus track on the album - he enlisted the team of Josh Crosby, Nate Campany, and Emily Wright (Dr. Luke's engineer).
Like Us on Facebook
"Shooting Star" debuted last week on the Christian CHR chart at No. 29 and bulleted its way up several spots to No. 24 on this week's chart. The song is available now via iTunes® and other digital retailers.
In addition to working with other writers and producers, Young is joined by two very exciting guests on the new album. On "Dementia," Young is joined by one of his heroes, blink-182's Mark Hoppus. The song documents some of the more psychotic thoughts and feelings Young dealt with in the wake of his platinum debut album, Ocean Eyes, and is one of the more rock-inspired cuts on the new album. And on the album's first single at mainstream radio, the incredibly infectious pop gem "Good Time" (written and produced by Adam Young, with Matthew Thiessen and Brian Lee as co-writers), Young is joined in a duet by "Call Me Maybe" star Carly Rae Jepsen. The song will be available via iTunes® and other digital retailers on June 26; however, a preview of the song is available here: http://soundcloud.com/owlcityofficial/good-time.
When asked about working with Jepsen, Young said, "I love Carly's song 'Call Me Maybe.' I remember hearing it for the first time and immediately became a huge fan of hers - it is absolutely contagious. A bit later, I actually found out that she had known of my music for a while and even went to a couple of shows of mine in Vancouver so I definitely knew I wanted to collaborate with her."
Their mutual admiration and excitement to work together can be heard on "Good Time" - an undeniable summer anthem.
By embracing the idea of working with others, Young was able to grow as an artist and producer and really explore new aspects of song writing and production. This openness was born out of several positive experiences collaborating with other artists including Paul van Dyk ("Eternity") and Armin van Buuren ("Youtopia"). The eleven songs on the new album reflect this growth while still retaining Young's synth-driven melodic pop sensibility.
As Owl City gears up for the release of The Midsummer Station on August 21st, the band will embark on a short North American promo tour, prior to announcing a full World Tour on July 9th. The trek has Owl City playing intimate venues in most stops along the way (many of which are already sold out). Confirmed dates below and for ticket details please visit www.owlcitymusic.com.
NORTH AMERICA Promo Tour
July 9 - Mod Club, Toronto, ON SOLD OUT
July 10 - Bowery Ballroom, New York, NY SOLD OUT
July 12 - Bottom Lounge, Chicago, IL SOLD OUT
July 13 - Varsity Theatre, Minneapolis, MN SOLD OUT
July 15 - Bluebird Theatre, Denver, CO
July 18 - Greek Theatre, Los Angeles, CA (w/ Demi Lavato)
July 21 - Slims, San Francisco, CA SOLD OUT
July 23 - Triple Door, Seattle, WA SOLD OUT
*all dates with special guest Jayme Dee unless otherwise noted
EX-NORTH AMERICA Promo Tour
July 27 - Fuji Rock Festival, Niigata, JP
July 28 - Jisan Festival, Icheon, KR
July 31 - Vega, Copenhagen, DK
August 1 - Lido, Berlin, DE
August 2 - Werkstett, Cologne, DK
August 4 - Tivoli de Helling, Utrecht, NE SOLD OUT
August 7 - KCLSU, London, UK (w/ Nina Nesbitt) SOLD OUT
- Cancer Survivor Tracy Randall Joins Philadelphia's "Faith Against Cancer" Gospel Concert
- Lisa Page Brooks Meets Stroke Survivor in Baltimore, MD
- Christian Singer Carman Has Successful Kickstarter and Announces 24 State, 60 City Tour!
- Chris Tomlin Tour Hits The Road with the Burning Lights Tour and Live Concert DVD
- Michael W. Smith Announces 2014 “Michael W. Smith & Friends Cruise” To Alaska
- Holly Starr's 'Don't Have Love' Surpasses 500,000 Youtube Views
- New Artist Julie Elias Set To Perform At LifeLight Festival Memorial Day Weekend
- Christian Musician Summit Launches New Retail Website for Church Musicians
- GAYE ARBUCKLE Releases HOLY
- Red Roots to appear on The American Bible Challenge on GSN
- Second Edition Of Dr. Michael Milton's SILENT NO MORE Releases Amid High-Profile Accolades
- Mars Hill Music's Citizens Releases Self-Titled LP
- All Sons & Daughters Release First Live CD/DVD April 23
- Josh Wilson Releases His Most Personal Record To Date, 'Carry Me,' On Apr. 9
- KEITH ELGIN RELEASES AWARD-WINNING SINGLE TO RADIO
- Darlene Zschech, To Declare The Truth of God - Revealing Jesus, by Melissa Riddle Chalos
- EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW: Mike Weaver of Big Daddy Weave Speaks on K-Love Fan Nominations, Their Hit Song "Redeemed" & New Music on the Way
- Interview: Bryan Duncan Talks About His New Album "Conversations."
- EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW: Jeremiah Jones Talks About Laura Story's Hit Song, His New Album and Song Writing
Get the latest news from BC in your inbox
- THIS WEEK