Oscar Nominee Denzel Washington Discusses Christian Faith
When it comes to blockbuster Hollywood actors, Denzel Washington is at the top of a very short list of stars who are all but guaranteed to turn in a stellar performance and packed theaters.
In an interview with The Guardian promoting, Flight, a film about a man struggling with addictions and Washington's most recent project, he discussed his faith and the integral role that it plays in his work - especially in his Oscar-nominated portrayal of the alcoholic William "Whip" Whitaker.
Like Us on Facebook
"That line, 'God help me,' was very important to me, as an arc as much as anything," said Washington regarding Flight's climax, when Whitaker is finally held to task for his actions and subsequent cover-ups. "You see this butt-naked, coke-sniffing, weed-smoking guy finally get to the point where he can say: 'God help me.' He gets his life back."
As the son of a Pentecostal preacher, Washington grew up in the church, and he does much more than pay lip service to his beliefs. In 1995 he donated $2.5m to help build the West Angeles Church of God in Christ, where he currently attends along with other celebrities including Magic Johnson and Stevie Wonder.
Washington also credits his faith with keeping him grounded and providing a sense of routine in the entertainment business.
"I read from the Bible every day, and I read my Daily Word," Washington replied during an interview for GQ Magazine's October 2012 issue when asked if he has a daily code that he lives by.
Washington is nominated for the Oscar for Best Actor for his work in Flight. The 85th Annual Academy Awards Ceremony airs this Sunday, February 24, at 7 p.m. EST on ABC.
- Chris Tomlin Tour Hits The Road with the Burning Lights Tour and Live Concert DVD
- Michael W. Smith Announces 2014 “Michael W. Smith & Friends Cruise” To Alaska
- Holly Starr's 'Don't Have Love' Surpasses 500,000 Youtube Views
- New Artist Julie Elias Set To Perform At LifeLight Festival Memorial Day Weekend
- Christian Musician Summit Launches New Retail Website for Church Musicians
- Toddzero To Release First Full-Length Album On June 4th
- Whosoever South Kicks Off Media Tour in Support of Debut Album
- Chris Tomlin's "Burning Lights Tour" Makes Career History
- GAYE ARBUCKLE Releases HOLY
- Red Roots to appear on The American Bible Challenge on GSN
- Second Edition Of Dr. Michael Milton's SILENT NO MORE Releases Amid High-Profile Accolades
- Mars Hill Music's Citizens Releases Self-Titled LP
- All Sons & Daughters Release First Live CD/DVD April 23
- Josh Wilson Releases His Most Personal Record To Date, 'Carry Me,' On Apr. 9
- KEITH ELGIN RELEASES AWARD-WINNING SINGLE TO RADIO
- Darlene Zschech, To Declare The Truth of God - Revealing Jesus, by Melissa Riddle Chalos
- EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW: Mike Weaver of Big Daddy Weave Speaks on K-Love Fan Nominations, Their Hit Song "Redeemed" & New Music on the Way
- Interview: Bryan Duncan Talks About His New Album "Conversations."
- EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW: Jeremiah Jones Talks About Laura Story's Hit Song, His New Album and Song Writing
Get the latest news from BC in your inbox
- THIS WEEK