Music Producer Michael Winans Jr. sentenced 14 Years in Prison
On Wednesday, Michael Winans Jr., 30, was sentenced to nearly 14 years in prison by a federal judge in Detroit on wire fraud charges saying he stole millions from more than 1,200 investors. Many would call this an elaborate ponzi scheme. U.S. District Judge Sean Cox also ordered Winans to pay $4.8 million in restitution to his victims. Assistant U.S. Attorney Abed Hammoud was quoted saying that Winans was a Grammy nominee who "used religion ... the church, the good reputation of the family" to rob victims, many of whom are metro Detroiters.
Like Us on Facebook
In October, Winans plead guilty that he devised a wire fraud scheme in Michigan. Yesterday, Winans, dressed in a gray suit, admitted that "I did make mistakes" also that he caused "financial and emotional damage" to people and their lively hood. He did go on to say that there was no "malicious intent on my part... I wanted people to have a good life."
The sentencing memo of Hammoud said Winans led "investors... to believe they were investing in Saudi Arabian crude oil bonds that (he) well knew did not exist. Winans... guaranteed the victim investors the bonds would yield returns of approximately 100% of the principal within 60 days."
Michael Winans Jr. is the nephew of Marvin Winans, the pastor of Perfecting Church in Detroit, who is known nationally for his gospel music. Marvin Winans spoke at Whitney Houston's funeral last year. He attended the court sentencing but did not give any comment.
- Deitrick Haddon Nominated for 2013 BET Award-A Beautiful Soul CD
- Carman Announces 60-City U.S. Tour, Offers Tickets to Kickstarter Backers 1st as Kickstarter Campaign Exceeds $233,000, Becomes 2nd Most Successful Kickstarter Music Project Ever
- Winter Jam Audiences 'Reset' With Nick Hall
- Andrew Peterson Returns To Grand Ole Opry
- Jason Castro Commenced Shooting For The Gmc Movie "The Perfect Summer" On May 13
- Billboard Gospel Chart Debut At #8 For Bishop K.W. Brown Presents Earl Bynum and The Mount Unity Choir
- Human Rights Leader Majed El Shafie Announces Successful Rescue of Victims of Religious Persecution in Afghanistan
- Citizen Way New Record, Redeemed Tour & K-Love Awards
- GAYE ARBUCKLE Releases HOLY
- Red Roots to appear on The American Bible Challenge on GSN
- Second Edition Of Dr. Michael Milton's SILENT NO MORE Releases Amid High-Profile Accolades
- Mars Hill Music's Citizens Releases Self-Titled LP
- All Sons & Daughters Release First Live CD/DVD April 23
- Josh Wilson Releases His Most Personal Record To Date, 'Carry Me,' On Apr. 9
- KEITH ELGIN RELEASES AWARD-WINNING SINGLE TO RADIO
- Darlene Zschech, To Declare The Truth of God - Revealing Jesus, by Melissa Riddle Chalos
Get the latest news from BC in your inbox
- THIS WEEK