Martha Munizzi Opens Up About Her Sexual Abuse Trauma
Martha Munizzi's latest album Make It Loud showcases her lovable bold approach to gospel music, but the artist is sounding off in a new way as she has opened up about her troubled past that included sexual abuse.
Known for hits like "Glorious," "No Limits," and her latest "Make It Loud," the well known singer took to popular Christian television show "Lexi" to address another matter.
Like Us on Facebook
"Its time to be transparent," were the words that Munizzi felt were those of the Holy Spirit leading her to talk about the difficulties she has experienced.
"People are hurting. People want to know that your life isn't perfect. Who do I help if everybody looks at me and thinks my life is perfect?"
Growing up in a Christian home, with both of her parents in ministry, young Martha lived a nice life. She even described it as feeling like "Narnia." With a father that was a preacher and a song writer, and a twin sister that she used to harmonize with late into the night, she was a happy, normal child that loved her family, until someone close to her violated this trust and love.
"I've been through some trials, I've been through some tragedies, some issues in my life and its the reason I sing with passion…Its because of what I've been through and I still sing, I still worship God, I still love God."
At the age of 7 years old, a trusted family member began molesting Martha, her sisters and several of her young female cousins. For Munizzi, the family member who, like her father, was also a preacher, was acting in a way that her young mind couldn't process.
"I was blessed to not live in the same city, so it would only happen when we would visit but [it was] enough to really confuse a little girl to think, ok this a person that's supposed to love me, one of the greatest relationships in my life and a family member and you're supposed to love me."
"And it kind of really messes with your head because you just – in your mind you know that this is not right but you just compartmentalize and say, well no one can know," she said to Lexi, host of the Show.
Holding the secret amongst herself and female family members, it wasn't until years later that she finally told her parents what was happening.
Visiting once again, Martha's female family members who were also experiencing the molestation began to vacate the house anytime the predator came in and he complained about it. In the presence of her mother, the young Martha jokingly said she knew why they all left and her mother asked why.
Wanting to change the subject, something in Munizzi's mother wouldn't allow her to move on.
"…She just by the Holy Spirit knew there was something more and it had to be by the Holy Spirit because, again, it was never anything that entered into her mind."
As her mother continued to press her about the issue, Martha told the "earth shattering" secret.
She describes her mother as taking the news "calmly" but after the secret was exposed, her other sought for help and told her father.
"I came home a few days later and my father was sitting there sobbing and I knew, ok, its out."
The news was devastating to her parents, eventually leading to the end of their 30 year marriage.
"And it just took its toil on our family. It just was too much. And so, I think my parents who loved each other – it was just too heavy."
Suffering from guilt and many emotions that were difficult for her young mind to process, Martha came to healing in Christ.
"The end of the story is that God heals, is that God restores. Don't feel sorry for me."
The award winning singer said speaking about it now is like speaking about someone else because of the extent that God has healed her from the past wounds.
"Talking about it is almost as if I'm talking about someone else.That's how far in the healing process I am…Living a life of worship and spending time with God has so healed me, its really as if I'm talking about someone else."
Today, she remarked that not only has her life been restored but her relationship with her parents as well. She uses this as a part of her testimony, to share and encourage others in Christ.
Martha Munizzi's latest album Make It Loud is now available.
- Jason Castro Shooting for GMC Movie "The Perfect Summer" / 2013 Tour with Sidewalk Prophets, Ryan Cabrera, Deleasa
- The Lost Medallion: The Adventures of Billy Stone (2013) Releases on DVD at Wal-mart, Watch Trailer (VIDEO)
- David M. Edwards Releases New Gospel Album "Heart Full Of Soul" Today / Available On iTunes
- David Crowder* Band Release New "Greatest Hits" Album Today / Songs Like "How He Loves", "O Praise Him" and "Everything Glorious" Featured on New Album
- The Perry's Joseph Habedank to Step Down as Lead Singer of Gospel Group After 10 Years, Read Full Note Here
- Legendary Vocalist John Schlitt Takes Music To Norway
- Integrity Music Releases Debut From Northern Ireland's Nathan Jess
- IMMERSE Announces Scholarship Opportunities, Partnership with National Praise and Worship Institute
- GAYE ARBUCKLE Releases HOLY
- Red Roots to appear on The American Bible Challenge on GSN
- Second Edition Of Dr. Michael Milton's SILENT NO MORE Releases Amid High-Profile Accolades
- Mars Hill Music's Citizens Releases Self-Titled LP
- All Sons & Daughters Release First Live CD/DVD April 23
- Josh Wilson Releases His Most Personal Record To Date, 'Carry Me,' On Apr. 9
- KEITH ELGIN RELEASES AWARD-WINNING SINGLE TO RADIO
- Darlene Zschech, To Declare The Truth of God - Revealing Jesus, by Melissa Riddle Chalos
Get the latest news from BC in your inbox
- THIS WEEK