Kierra Sheard Interview: Gospel Singer Talks About Her Walk With God and Upcoming Reality Show
With an new record coming out and her new reality show, The Sheards airing April 7th on BET, it's shocking Kierra Sheard had any time to sit down and talk with us. As Sheard would say "for God is the Glory."
So tell me a little bit about your upcoming reality show, The Sheards on BET?
Yes, it's very exciting. It's going to be showing all of the dynamics of myself: my family, my mother, my brother. It'll be airing right after Celebration of Gospel.
Like Us on Facebook
It gives us an opportunity to minister in a different way, on a bigger platform, to people and parents who may have wayward children. You'll see me as an aspiring artist going through the things any woman goes through, when it comes to my weight, friends, dating. It's a clean show. You'll see my mom serving as a pastor's wife. Her episode is actually one of my favorites. It brought tears to my eyes.
Are you a fan of some of the "not-so-clean" reality shows? Kardashians, Real Houswives...etc?
I'll be honest and say yes I have been a fan of the Kardashians. I've been a fan of Love & Hip-Hop, Christy was my favorite. I know a lot of people will probable judge me after reading this interview.
[On The Sheards] There will be drama, but not us fighting and disrespecting ourselves and lowering our standards. We act as adults, as human beings, not animals.
But I am always looking at the fashion of the Kardashians, I love the way they dress.
How did you started with your own reality show?
It's crazy. It's nothing but God. It was a connection we had in high school. He just so happened to move to LA and my brother kept in touch with him. He had the idea. My manager helped make it bigger, talking in the ears of the networks she was connected with. BET loved it. They were very supportive of the idea and my mom being from a legendary family. I'm just so honored to have this opportunity.
But to answer your question, that's just how it works. It goes back to us back in high school to us growing up now and having friends that are connected. I will always say for God is glory
How did you get involved with ministry?
It was really exciting to see how my family kept me rooted and grounded in the Church and made me remain faithful. Once I developed and saw that I had a responsibility to answer questions as it pertains to my faith and walk, I felt I needed to seek God and really notice Him for myself, and not just give traditional answers. The more I seeked God, the more I fell in love with Him.
Of course my music came from my mom pushing me, and being featured on her debut record. I'm just blessed to see what God is doing in my life. He's blowing me away. I have a relationship with God and I want to know him more and more as long as I'm here on this Earth journey.
What are some of your biggest musical influences? Any secular?
I find myself putting a limit on what I listen to as it pertains to other genres. I have to make sure I'm guarding my ears because my ears lead to my mind, which leads to my heart. I'll maybe listen to jazz or the oldies. But I do like Adele. Her writing skills are amazing. I love the techno sound that Katy Perry and Rihanna are putting out. I love music.
Besides the show, what's next for Kierra Sheard? Anything music related?
You'll see that in the show as well. I was in the studio with a major producer, and I'll have a single out very soon. The record will probably be released in the third quarter. I'm trying to push it up, but we'll see.
I'm also actually working on my conference right now, which targets young adults. We do this every year in August. I'm into social networking so you can keep in touch with me and see what I'm doing. But I'm really excited about this year's conference. It caters to the natural side and spiritual side of young adults, so I'm really excited.
- Mark Schultz Says 'I Gave Up' In New Radio Single
- Monroe Hopper Passes Away
- Laurie Cardoza Moore to address WCICC Leadership
- Word Entertainment & 25 Entertainment Announce The 2013-14 "Girls of Grace" Season Presented By Childfund (VIDEO)
- Luminate Enjoys Success on Rock N' Worship Roadshow & Believe Tours
- Francesca Battistelli New Album Coming Out Soon?
- Laura Story's 'Blessings' Album Goes Gold, Joins Show Hope Concert May 26 in Nashville with Casting Crowns, Steven Curtis Chapman & Others
- Casting Crowns Release Acoustic Album, Get K-Love Awards Nomination & Make Cameo in New Movie
- GAYE ARBUCKLE Releases HOLY
- Red Roots to appear on The American Bible Challenge on GSN
- Second Edition Of Dr. Michael Milton's SILENT NO MORE Releases Amid High-Profile Accolades
- Mars Hill Music's Citizens Releases Self-Titled LP
- All Sons & Daughters Release First Live CD/DVD April 23
- Josh Wilson Releases His Most Personal Record To Date, 'Carry Me,' On Apr. 9
- KEITH ELGIN RELEASES AWARD-WINNING SINGLE TO RADIO
- Darlene Zschech, To Declare The Truth of God - Revealing Jesus, by Melissa Riddle Chalos
Get the latest news from BC in your inbox
- THIS WEEK