Kandi Burruss Addresses Controversy Over "Stay Prayed Up," Her Duet With Marvin Sapp
When Kandi Burruss of Bravo TV's The Real Housewives of Atlanta first announced that she was planning to record a gospel song, there was immediate controversy. She does, after all, sell sex toys.
Like Us on Facebook
But Burruss moved forward anyway, and on February 17 she released "Stay Prayed Up," a duet with one of the biggest names in gospel music, Marvin Sapp.
On Thursday, Burruss took to her official blog on Bravo's website to address the negative feedback.
"I knew when I decided to do it that a lot of people would be shocked, since I often talk about sex, have an adult toy line (Bedroom Kandi) and host a sex and relationships internet show (Kandi Koated Nights)," Burruss wrote. "I knew that some people would give me the side eye, but I didn't know that it would be to this extreme.
"Thank God I don't let things get to me. I'm a very open and honest person. I say what I want to say when I want to say it. If I feel like doing something, I do it. I felt that I wanted to do this song, so I did, and I'm glad I did. This song is my testimony."
Burruss noted that she has received comments on Twitter from people who question her sincerity and motives, but she also claims that Sapp advised her to avoid explaining herself to other people.
Sapp was unavailable for comment.
So what's your view? Take a listen to "Stay Prayed Up" below, and let us know what you think!
- Casting Crowns Release Acoustic Album, Get K-Love Awards Nomination & Make Cameo in New Movie
- Big Daddy Weave Releases New Single, "The Only Name," To Radio Today
- Deitrick Haddon Nominated for 2013 BET Award-A Beautiful Soul CD
- Carman Announces 60-City U.S. Tour, Offers Tickets to Kickstarter Backers 1st as Kickstarter Campaign Exceeds $233,000, Becomes 2nd Most Successful Kickstarter Music Project Ever
- Winter Jam Audiences 'Reset' With Nick Hall
- Andrew Peterson Returns To Grand Ole Opry
- Jason Castro Commenced Shooting For The Gmc Movie "The Perfect Summer" On May 13
- Billboard Gospel Chart Debut At #8 For Bishop K.W. Brown Presents Earl Bynum and The Mount Unity Choir
- GAYE ARBUCKLE Releases HOLY
- Red Roots to appear on The American Bible Challenge on GSN
- Second Edition Of Dr. Michael Milton's SILENT NO MORE Releases Amid High-Profile Accolades
- Mars Hill Music's Citizens Releases Self-Titled LP
- All Sons & Daughters Release First Live CD/DVD April 23
- Josh Wilson Releases His Most Personal Record To Date, 'Carry Me,' On Apr. 9
- KEITH ELGIN RELEASES AWARD-WINNING SINGLE TO RADIO
- Darlene Zschech, To Declare The Truth of God - Revealing Jesus, by Melissa Riddle Chalos
Get the latest news from BC in your inbox
- THIS WEEK