Freddy Washington Jr. is Giving Christian Music a Fresh Voice
New Jersey native, Freddy Washington Jr., was no stranger to music when he released his debut single, "Jesus" in April 2011 to Christian radio. Washington decided it was his time to let his own voice and sound be showcased to the masses. He is the son of famous Gospel pianist Freddy Washington Sr. and Dr. Pamala Washington, who currently lead the W.O.R.D. Church in Penn's Grove, New Jersey.
"I begged my father to teach me to play, and every once in a while he would show me a few things on the piano, but he wanted me to develop my own style," Washington Jr. recalls.
Like Us on Facebook
Washington Jr. served faithfully in his parents ministry growing up and learned from an early age music and ministry were his passions and that he wanted to pursue them as a career. He got more involved behind the scenes early in his music career garnering Grammy, Stellar and Dove Award nominations for production with artists Da'Truth and Gospel newcomer Melinda Watts. Washington Jr. also began traveling internationally as a sought out preacher and musical clinician, while achieving immense success as a writer and producer.
Eventually the time had come where Washington Jr. was ready to make his solo debut. Washington Jr. wrote and produced all 17 songs on his The Jesus Record. He shared the studio with his father, Bishop Freddy Washington Sr., Melinda Watts, Chrystal Rucker and Bryon "Mr. Talkbox" Chambers for various tracks on his album. The Jesus Record features Gospel, Hip Hop, R&B, pop, and country vibes with flashes of Washington Jr.'s early influences, which include Phil Collins, Andrae Crouch, Michael W. Smith and Kirk Franklin.
Washington Jr.'s goal with his solo debut was not just to create fantastic music, but to draw people closer to Jesus Christ and give his listeners the same hope he has found through his faith.
This is only just the beginning for Freddy Washington as he is sure to be a staple of the Christian and Gospel music scene for many years to come.
Check out Breathecast's exclusive interview with Freddy Washington Jr from the National Religious Broadcaster's Convention: http://breathecast.christianpost.com/articles/6464/20130304/freddy-washington-talk-new-album-jesus-record.htm
- Mark Schultz Says 'I Gave Up' In New Radio Single
- Monroe Hopper Passes Away
- Laurie Cardoza Moore to address WCICC Leadership
- Word Entertainment & 25 Entertainment Announce The 2013-14 "Girls of Grace" Season Presented By Childfund (VIDEO)
- Luminate Enjoys Success on Rock N' Worship Roadshow & Believe Tours
- Francesca Battistelli New Album Coming Out Soon?
- Laura Story's 'Blessings' Album Goes Gold, Joins Show Hope Concert May 26 in Nashville with Casting Crowns, Steven Curtis Chapman & Others
- Casting Crowns Release Acoustic Album, Get K-Love Awards Nomination & Make Cameo in New Movie
- GAYE ARBUCKLE Releases HOLY
- Red Roots to appear on The American Bible Challenge on GSN
- Second Edition Of Dr. Michael Milton's SILENT NO MORE Releases Amid High-Profile Accolades
- Mars Hill Music's Citizens Releases Self-Titled LP
- All Sons & Daughters Release First Live CD/DVD April 23
- Josh Wilson Releases His Most Personal Record To Date, 'Carry Me,' On Apr. 9
- KEITH ELGIN RELEASES AWARD-WINNING SINGLE TO RADIO
- Darlene Zschech, To Declare The Truth of God - Revealing Jesus, by Melissa Riddle Chalos
Get the latest news from BC in your inbox
- THIS WEEK