Episode 2 of The Bible on History Channel : David and Goliath
History Channel's much talked about new series, The Bible, is set to air its fourth episode titled "Kingdom", spending much of the air time focusing on David's battle with Goliath. Taking place in the book of Samuel, the purpose of the original story of David and Goliath was to prove David's identity as the true king of Israel, defeating the giant Philistine warrior with just a sling and a single rock.
According to the Biblical account of the story, Saul and the Israelites face the Philistines in the Valley of Elah. Twice a day for 40 days, the champion of the Philistines, Goliath, makes his way to the division line, challenging the Israelites to send out a warrior and decide the outcome in a single combat. The other Israelites were too afraid to accept, but while delivering food to his elder brothers, young David overhears the challenge along with Saul's promise of reward, and declares his intentions to battle Goliath. Turning down Saul's offer of his own armor, David heads towards the lines with just a single sling and five stones, appearing completely unprepared for the battle that awaits him.
Like Us on Facebook
David and Goliath prepare to face off, David's staff and sling looking to be a pathetic attempt of defense against the heavy armor of Goliath. After Goliath's declaration of the Philistine's curse on David and his gods, David's strong faith in God dictates his response, proclaiming that day to be the day the Lord would deliver Goliath into his hands, and referencing the results of the battle to be the ultimate victory of the Lord. With those words, David shoots a single stone from his sling, hitting Goliath in the center of the forehead and striking him dead, his massive frame falling face first into the ground. The Philistines flee as David beheads Goliath, taking the head back with him to Jerusalem. With word of the battle's results, Saul sends for David, inquiring him of his father.
Though David was just a young boy without any armor or proper weapon of defense, he was able to claim victory over the champion of the Philistines with a single shot from his sling. Considering the circumstances, it would be difficult to deny God's hand in the battle. Strength from a higher power can be seen in David's courage alone, but the fact of his victory is more than enough to support the work of God in the battle of David and Goliath, the prominent story a true testament to the results of remaining steadfast in faith under trial.
- TobyMac Introduces Recent Gotee Records Signee, Ryan Stevenson
- Mark Schultz "All Things Possible" Cruise Tour 2014 / Jimmy Needham and Cindy Morgan Special Guests
- Jason Castro Shooting for GMC Movie "The Perfect Summer" / 2013 Tour with Sidewalk Prophets, Ryan Cabrera, Deleasa
- The Lost Medallion: The Adventures of Billy Stone (2013) Releases on DVD at Wal-mart, Watch Trailer (VIDEO)
- David M. Edwards Releases New Gospel Album "Heart Full Of Soul" Today / Available On iTunes
- David Crowder* Band Release New "Greatest Hits" Album Today / Songs Like "How He Loves", "O Praise Him" and "Everything Glorious" Featured on New Album
- The Perry's Joseph Habedank to Step Down as Lead Singer of Gospel Group After 10 Years, Read Full Note Here
- Legendary Vocalist John Schlitt Takes Music To Norway
- GAYE ARBUCKLE Releases HOLY
- Red Roots to appear on The American Bible Challenge on GSN
- Second Edition Of Dr. Michael Milton's SILENT NO MORE Releases Amid High-Profile Accolades
- Mars Hill Music's Citizens Releases Self-Titled LP
- All Sons & Daughters Release First Live CD/DVD April 23
- Josh Wilson Releases His Most Personal Record To Date, 'Carry Me,' On Apr. 9
- KEITH ELGIN RELEASES AWARD-WINNING SINGLE TO RADIO
- Darlene Zschech, To Declare The Truth of God - Revealing Jesus, by Melissa Riddle Chalos
Get the latest news from BC in your inbox
- THIS WEEK