Doctor Shot, Killed By Patient In Orange County Office
A doctor who died of several gunshot wounds was found in an Orange County hospital Monday. Reports of 6 or more shots being fired at a medical office near Hoag Hospital reached Newport Beach police around quarter until 3 pm.
75-year old ex-barber, Stanwood Fred Elkus is being held in custody on $1 million bail until the investigation is through. He's accused of shooting and killing 52-year old Dr. Ronald Franklin Gilbert in his own examination room. Elkus allegedly shot Dr. Gilbert several times in the torso.
Like Us on Facebook
Kristen Cotty also works in the office and confused the sound of shooting with construction noises outside. She told the Orange Country Register, "What's going on with the world today? "I mean, schools, now I got to worry about going to work. This has got to stop."
The shooting occurred on the Orange Coast Urology floor, which according to the office answering machine that day, was closed. There are 3 Urologists in the hospital but Becky Calderwood says the shooter was not a doctor, but instead a patient.
She told the Los Angeles Times, "I sit right at the front desk. I would have caught the first bullet."
Gilbert, according to his online medical biography was a "people person" and model citizen in the community. And according to the Huffington Post, Elkus was a pretty normal person, even though he was a gun enthusiast who enjoyed going to shooting ranges.
With no one else injured or shot at, the police believe the shooting to be an isolated situation, and as of now without clear motive.
- TobyMac Introduces Recent Gotee Records Signee, Ryan Stevenson
- Mark Schultz "All Things Possible" Cruise Tour 2014 / Jimmy Needham and Cindy Morgan Special Guests
- Jason Castro Shooting for GMC Movie "The Perfect Summer" / 2013 Tour with Sidewalk Prophets, Ryan Cabrera, Deleasa
- The Lost Medallion: The Adventures of Billy Stone (2013) Releases on DVD at Wal-mart, Watch Trailer (VIDEO)
- David M. Edwards Releases New Gospel Album "Heart Full Of Soul" Today / Available On iTunes
- David Crowder* Band Release New "Greatest Hits" Album Today / Songs Like "How He Loves", "O Praise Him" and "Everything Glorious" Featured on New Album
- The Perry's Joseph Habedank to Step Down as Lead Singer of Gospel Group After 10 Years, Read Full Note Here
- Legendary Vocalist John Schlitt Takes Music To Norway
- GAYE ARBUCKLE Releases HOLY
- Red Roots to appear on The American Bible Challenge on GSN
- Second Edition Of Dr. Michael Milton's SILENT NO MORE Releases Amid High-Profile Accolades
- Mars Hill Music's Citizens Releases Self-Titled LP
- All Sons & Daughters Release First Live CD/DVD April 23
- Josh Wilson Releases His Most Personal Record To Date, 'Carry Me,' On Apr. 9
- KEITH ELGIN RELEASES AWARD-WINNING SINGLE TO RADIO
- Darlene Zschech, To Declare The Truth of God - Revealing Jesus, by Melissa Riddle Chalos
Get the latest news from BC in your inbox
- THIS WEEK