Derek Webb Earns Rave Reviews for New Project, Ctrl; Album Debuts in Top 10 on Christian Soundscan Chart
Perennial critical favorite Derek Webb officially unveiled his latest studio album, Ctrl, on Sept. 4 to stellar reviews and remarkable praise from critics. In addition, the album made its chart debut in the Top 10 on the Christian Soundscan chart.
With Ctrl, Webb breaks new ground sonically with his combination of nylon-string acoustic guitar, Sacred Harp recordings, and hyper-personal lyrics framed in a fictional narrative of his own writing. The combination of these unique musical elements colors a sonic landscape and supports a lyrical palette that Webb painstakingly crafted along with collaborators Josh Moore (Co-producer of Ctrl, along with Webb's Stockholm Syndrome and Feedback albums) and Allan Heinberg (Writer/Executive Producer of Grey's Anatomy, 2006-2010). Sacred Harp singing is a tradition of sacred choral music that took root in the Southern region of the United States and is part of the larger tradition of shape note singing. Webb interweaves recordings of the four-part harmony, historic, American art form into his compositions on the 10-track album.
Like Us on Facebook
Here's just a sampling of the overwhelming praise for Ctrl:
"Extraordinary and original songwriting that comes together in surprising ways. At points, it's as minimalist as PJ Harvey's White Chalk, and at other points, it's as lush as any Sufjan Stevens album. It's eccentric at all points in between, but wonderfully so."
New York Minute Magazine
"He has a gifted ear for melody and language, and in these songs he's stripped his songwriting down to those essentials...the tension between straightforward, grounded songs and sonic experimentation is what makes the album work. This album is meant to be probed, explored, wrestled with.
"Webb's strength is his refusal to shy away from the tension and ambiguity between real and synthetic, pure and toxic, spiritual and physical-life and death."
"Melodic, atmospheric and as mellow as anything he's ever done, Ctrl seems to simultaneously show Derek at his most comfortable and his most uncomfortable. There's an amazing confidence in his arrangements, production and melodies, especially in the deceptively simplistic, sparser moments. Ctrl contains a treasure trove of musicality, ingenuity, honesty, questions, resolutions and much more. No matter your personal level of interaction with Derek's music, Ctrl stands on its own merit, delivering amazing musical performances, mind-thumping questions and Derek's crystal clear, unmistakable vocals. Amazing on its own and possibly more than meets the eye when paired with the NEXUS soundtrack, Ctrl is absolutely worth your time and attention."
"Ctrl is pretty much unlike anything else you'll hear this year. It's unique, haunting, and thought provoking ... truly deep and artistic, something greater than can be understood in a single sitting, and thus something that will have to be played again."
New Release Tuesday
"[This album is] one that begs you to absorb and take it in. Derek has defined himself as an artist and not just a songwriter."
About Derek Webb
Once called "the most dangerous man in the music business", Derek Webb's career, spanning more than 20 years including his tenure in Texas-based folk/rock band Caedmon's Call, has seen album sales over one million records, 10 Dove Award nominations, a Billboard Music Video Award nod and six No. 1 radio hits. Webb's innovative music marketing and distribution strategies (including the founding of NoiseTrade.com) have received national news coverage in USA Today, the LA Times and more.
[Get Connected with Derek Webb]
- Cancer Survivor Tracy Randall Joins Philadelphia's "Faith Against Cancer" Gospel Concert
- Lisa Page Brooks Meets Stroke Survivor in Baltimore, MD
- Christian Singer Carman Has Successful Kickstarter and Announces 24 State, 60 City Tour!
- Chris Tomlin Tour Hits The Road with the Burning Lights Tour and Live Concert DVD
- Michael W. Smith Announces 2014 “Michael W. Smith & Friends Cruise” To Alaska
- Holly Starr's 'Don't Have Love' Surpasses 500,000 Youtube Views
- New Artist Julie Elias Set To Perform At LifeLight Festival Memorial Day Weekend
- Christian Musician Summit Launches New Retail Website for Church Musicians
- GAYE ARBUCKLE Releases HOLY
- Red Roots to appear on The American Bible Challenge on GSN
- Second Edition Of Dr. Michael Milton's SILENT NO MORE Releases Amid High-Profile Accolades
- Mars Hill Music's Citizens Releases Self-Titled LP
- All Sons & Daughters Release First Live CD/DVD April 23
- Josh Wilson Releases His Most Personal Record To Date, 'Carry Me,' On Apr. 9
- KEITH ELGIN RELEASES AWARD-WINNING SINGLE TO RADIO
- Darlene Zschech, To Declare The Truth of God - Revealing Jesus, by Melissa Riddle Chalos
- EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW: Mike Weaver of Big Daddy Weave Speaks on K-Love Fan Nominations, Their Hit Song "Redeemed" & New Music on the Way
- Interview: Bryan Duncan Talks About His New Album "Conversations."
- EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW: Jeremiah Jones Talks About Laura Story's Hit Song, His New Album and Song Writing
Get the latest news from BC in your inbox
- THIS WEEK