Conclave to Elect New Pope, Starting March 12
A surprise abdication from Pope Benedict last month is bringing cardinals from around the world to the Vatican to discuss the problems facing the Catholic Church, and a possible successor to help solve them.
After 5 days of conclave, the Vatican announced Friday they would start the selection process for a new Pope on Tuesday, March 12th. Their secret ballot tradition will take place amongst the frescoes and altars of the Sistine Chapel following morning Mass in St. Peter's Basilica.
Like Us on Facebook
All under 80 years of age, the 115 elector-cardinals will participate in the ancient ritual. The voting process will continue until one man garners at least 77 votes, a two-thirds majority.
The cardinals will hold one vote on Tuesday, and if a new Pope is not selected, they will conduct 4 votes each day after.
In 2005, Pope Benedict was elected in less than 24 hours. His predecessor, John Paul II, took eight separate votes, and 3 days to be selected in 1978.
To ensure each cardinal can return to their dioceses in time to lead Easter services (Catholicism's most important day), it's clear they want the selection process to run as smoothly and as quickly as possible.
"It's been 10 days since I left the archdiocese, and as the old song goes, 'I wanna go home!'" U.S. Cardinal Timothy Dolan said in a blog on Friday.
The cardinals would draw "lots" to determine sleeping arrangements, according to Vatican spokesman Father Federico Lombardi. During conclave all external communication, including emails and phone calls, is strictly forbidden
Preventative measures, such as network jamming devices, will be taken to ensure no outsiders can eavesdrop on conclave.
- The Perry's Tracy Stuffle Latest Medical Update and Recovery Process
- Chris Tomlin 'Burning Lights' Tour to Have Second Leg This Fall 2013, See Full Dates Here (VIDEO)
- 1 Girl Nation (1GN) Joins Reunion Records And Announces Debut, Self-Titled Release Due August 20
- Plumb Travels to Brooklyn to Experience the Work of Metro World Child
- Tracy Stuffle Medical Update, The Perry's Singer, Having Rough Week in Hospital, Prayers Needed
- EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW: Audio Adrenaline on Red Carpet at K-Love Awards (VIDEO)
- Grammy and Dove Award Nominated Recording Artist Mr. Del, Celebrates Highly Anticipated Project FAITH WALKA
- Matthew West to Perform at First-Ever Sunday Morning at CMA Fest
- GAYE ARBUCKLE Releases HOLY
- Red Roots to appear on The American Bible Challenge on GSN
- Second Edition Of Dr. Michael Milton's SILENT NO MORE Releases Amid High-Profile Accolades
- Mars Hill Music's Citizens Releases Self-Titled LP
- All Sons & Daughters Release First Live CD/DVD April 23
- Josh Wilson Releases His Most Personal Record To Date, 'Carry Me,' On Apr. 9
- KEITH ELGIN RELEASES AWARD-WINNING SINGLE TO RADIO
- Darlene Zschech, To Declare The Truth of God - Revealing Jesus, by Melissa Riddle Chalos
- A Father’s Day Exclusive Interview: Singer/songwriter Todd MacDonald’ Dad Talks about His Son, Death and Being a Dad
- EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW: Mike Weaver of Big Daddy Weave Speaks on K-Love Fan Nominations, Their Hit Song "Redeemed" & New Music on the Way
- Interview: Bryan Duncan Talks About His New Album "Conversations."
Get the latest news from BC in your inbox
- THIS WEEK