BREATHEcast's Best Gospel Songs of the Century: Part 2
Welcome to Part 2 of BREATHEcast's roundup of the Best Gospel Songs of the Century. If you missed Part 1, you can see it here. And remember to let us know if you disagree - though we don't think you will!
"I Need You Now" - Smokie Norful: "I Need You Now" is a power ballad in its truest form, showcasing Norful's amazing vocal abilities. The title track from his 2002 debut album was so strong that it pushed the project to the top of Billboard's Best Gospel Album chart and #6 on Billboard's Heatseeker chart - an across-the-board listing of the best new talent.
Like Us on Facebook
"Take Me to the King" - Tamela Mann: Though some know Mann best through her portrayal of "Cora" in Tyler Perry's many productions, the actress/singer/songwriter has been a staple of the music industry for some time after getting her start as a member of Kirk Franklin's groundbreaking group The Family. This single from her 2012 project, Best Days, is probably her best to date.
"Love Him Like I Do" - Dietrick Haddon, Mary Mary & Ruben Studdard: When three of the biggest acts in Gospel music join forces, you can be assured that a hit is on the way. "Love Him Like I Do" is proof of that, and the driving beat and hard bass line perfectly accompanies this uptempo profession of love for the One who saved us all.
"Turn It Around" - Israel Houghton: Israel Houghton goes with praise and worship like ketchup goes with mustard - or any other tired cliché you can think of. Seriously, though, some of the greatest P&W anthems were penned by Houghton, and 2005's "Turn It Around" is no exception.
"Closer Walk" - Fred Hammond: As a Gospel music icon, we love just about everything Hammond puts out, so we had to add him to this "best of" list as we anxiously await the release of the new United Tenors album. In a departure from typical Gospel fare, "Closer Walk" is a mellow groove perfect for jazz and R&B fans.
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
- Deitrick Haddon Nominated for 2013 BET Award-A Beautiful Soul CD
- Carman Announces 60-City U.S. Tour, Offers Tickets to Kickstarter Backers 1st as Kickstarter Campaign Exceeds $233,000, Becomes 2nd Most Successful Kickstarter Music Project Ever
- Winter Jam Audiences 'Reset' With Nick Hall
- Andrew Peterson Returns To Grand Ole Opry
- Jason Castro Commenced Shooting For The Gmc Movie "The Perfect Summer" On May 13
- Billboard Gospel Chart Debut At #8 For Bishop K.W. Brown Presents Earl Bynum and The Mount Unity Choir
- Human Rights Leader Majed El Shafie Announces Successful Rescue of Victims of Religious Persecution in Afghanistan
- Citizen Way New Record, Redeemed Tour & K-Love Awards
- GAYE ARBUCKLE Releases HOLY
- Red Roots to appear on The American Bible Challenge on GSN
- Second Edition Of Dr. Michael Milton's SILENT NO MORE Releases Amid High-Profile Accolades
- Mars Hill Music's Citizens Releases Self-Titled LP
- All Sons & Daughters Release First Live CD/DVD April 23
- Josh Wilson Releases His Most Personal Record To Date, 'Carry Me,' On Apr. 9
- KEITH ELGIN RELEASES AWARD-WINNING SINGLE TO RADIO
- Darlene Zschech, To Declare The Truth of God - Revealing Jesus, by Melissa Riddle Chalos
Get the latest news from BC in your inbox
- THIS WEEK