A BREATHEcast Q&A with Gospel Hip Hop Star B-Luv
BREATHEcast recently sat down with gospel hip hop star B-Luv to discuss his musical influences, staying balanced and the inspiration that allows him to deliver such powerful, faith-based messages with his music.
BC: Who are some of your musical influences?
My father to this day has an extensive musical catalog. From secular music to Gospel music my dad has it all. Growing up I heard thousands of records. Which has influenced my sound today. I always have loved hip hop but as you listen to my music, I don't create the typical sound a rapper would. I have a list of musical influences that would take up this entire interview but I want to say my dad influenced my ear and style of music. Thank you dad.
Like Us on Facebook
BC: How do you maintain a balance between being authentically hip-hop and keeping your ministry apparent - avoiding the "corny rapper" syndrome?
I honestly believe being true to myself and the gift God gave me has kept me from the "corny rapper syndrome" Music is an art. I'm apart of the process from the start to finish of every song I create. I've written songs three times over because what my audience hears and repeats is very important to me. I'm passionate about the Gospel and how it's artistically expressed through my music.
BC: What inspired your new song, "unTITLED?"
"unTITLED" was inspired by a couple situations. I was asked to minister (speak) at a youth service and I agreed to do it. The week of the service they called back and said we can't allow you to speak because you aren't a license minister. I've done concerts at this church in the past. We had some incredible moves of God and great worship. They know my heart, they know my mission but because I didn't have a license they wouldn't allow me to speak. It really hurt me and for a while I dealt with insecurities. I began doubting God. I didn't believe I was good enough because I didn't have a license. Then one day the Lord woke me from a nap and showed me in his word that he already validated me when He died for me. I read Mark 16:15 -He said to them, "Go into all the world and preach the gospel to all creation." I began to meditate on that. He didn't say go Pastor, Elder, Minister, etc. He just said GO! I had to remind myself that no one on this earth can define who I am, only God can. Now I know my purpose in God. I don't need a title. I am "unTITLED" and so are you.
BC: What do you want listeners to take away when they listen to the song?
I want them to be encouraged not to search for titles or validation from people. You're important to God and that's all that matters. If the title never comes, you still have a job to do. This world needs you!
- Chris Tomlin Tour Hits The Road with the Burning Lights Tour and Live Concert DVD
- Michael W. Smith Announces 2014 “Michael W. Smith & Friends Cruise” To Alaska
- Holly Starr's 'Don't Have Love' Surpasses 500,000 Youtube Views
- New Artist Julie Elias Set To Perform At LifeLight Festival Memorial Day Weekend
- Christian Musician Summit Launches New Retail Website for Church Musicians
- Toddzero To Release First Full-Length Album On June 4th
- Whosoever South Kicks Off Media Tour in Support of Debut Album
- Chris Tomlin's "Burning Lights Tour" Makes Career History
- GAYE ARBUCKLE Releases HOLY
- Red Roots to appear on The American Bible Challenge on GSN
- Second Edition Of Dr. Michael Milton's SILENT NO MORE Releases Amid High-Profile Accolades
- Mars Hill Music's Citizens Releases Self-Titled LP
- All Sons & Daughters Release First Live CD/DVD April 23
- Josh Wilson Releases His Most Personal Record To Date, 'Carry Me,' On Apr. 9
- KEITH ELGIN RELEASES AWARD-WINNING SINGLE TO RADIO
- Darlene Zschech, To Declare The Truth of God - Revealing Jesus, by Melissa Riddle Chalos
- EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW: Mike Weaver of Big Daddy Weave Speaks on K-Love Fan Nominations, Their Hit Song "Redeemed" & New Music on the Way
- Interview: Bryan Duncan Talks About His New Album "Conversations."
- EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW: Jeremiah Jones Talks About Laura Story's Hit Song, His New Album and Song Writing
Get the latest news from BC in your inbox
- THIS WEEK