“The Bible” Miniseries on the History Channel Endorsed by Church Leaders
Four years ago when "The Bible" miniseries producers, Roma Downey (Touched by an Angel) and Mark Burnett (Survivor, The Apprentice, Shark Tank), sat in their living room casually discussing the idea of creating a bible miniseries to make its stories and lessons more accessible for a modern audience, the Emmy Award winning couple had no idea what they were really planning was a cultural phenomena.
Last Sunday, "The Bible" became the most watched cable television show of the year and was the History Channel's most watched show ever with over 13 million viewers tuning in to watch the first installment of the five episode miniseries.
Like Us on Facebook
To put it into perspective, the first episode of "The Bible" had more viewers than any show on NBC in the past month including successful franchises such as The Office, Parks and Recreation and Law& Order SVU. Even more impressive when you consider the 10-hour epic cost only 22 million to produce.
While "The Bible" was a success ratings wise, it did receive some criticism from television critics for being too breezy, speeding through certain segments of the bible. But the church community has been a staunch supporter of "The Bible." Bishop TD Jakes and Joel Osteen have backed the "The Bible" as much for the conversations it sparks along with the message and goal of the project. And polarizing Pastor Rick Warren went as far as stating he would shape his Sunday sermons around the series, and he urged other pastors to take advantage of this opportunity and do the same.
The first episode of "The Bible" took us through the lives and stories of Noah, Abraham and Moses, showing God's love and covenant with his followers and God's promise to protect his people through all trials and tribulations. Episode two featured the stories of Samson and Delilah, the Ark of the Covenant, Saul, and David defeating Goliath. Episode two, unlike the first installment, had a more deliberate pace and was focused more on the characters, developing the plot and giving viewers an opportunity to settle and enjoy the story.
- TobyMac Introduces Recent Gotee Records Signee, Ryan Stevenson
- Mark Schultz "All Things Possible" Cruise Tour 2014 / Jimmy Needham and Cindy Morgan Special Guests
- Jason Castro Shooting for GMC Movie "The Perfect Summer" / 2013 Tour with Sidewalk Prophets, Ryan Cabrera, Deleasa
- The Lost Medallion: The Adventures of Billy Stone (2013) Releases on DVD at Wal-mart, Watch Trailer (VIDEO)
- David M. Edwards Releases New Gospel Album "Heart Full Of Soul" Today / Available On iTunes
- David Crowder* Band Release New "Greatest Hits" Album Today / Songs Like "How He Loves", "O Praise Him" and "Everything Glorious" Featured on New Album
- The Perry's Joseph Habedank to Step Down as Lead Singer of Gospel Group After 10 Years, Read Full Note Here
- Legendary Vocalist John Schlitt Takes Music To Norway
- GAYE ARBUCKLE Releases HOLY
- Red Roots to appear on The American Bible Challenge on GSN
- Second Edition Of Dr. Michael Milton's SILENT NO MORE Releases Amid High-Profile Accolades
- Mars Hill Music's Citizens Releases Self-Titled LP
- All Sons & Daughters Release First Live CD/DVD April 23
- Josh Wilson Releases His Most Personal Record To Date, 'Carry Me,' On Apr. 9
- KEITH ELGIN RELEASES AWARD-WINNING SINGLE TO RADIO
- Darlene Zschech, To Declare The Truth of God - Revealing Jesus, by Melissa Riddle Chalos
Get the latest news from BC in your inbox
- THIS WEEK