"The Bible" on the History Channel Episode 2: First Glimpse of King Solomon
Episode 2 of History Channel's, "The Bible" featured the stories of Samson and Delilah, King Saul, David and Goliath, and ended with a preview of Solomon as a child in the second part of the five-part, 10-hour TV miniseries aired on the History Channel Sunday night.
Part two picked up where episode one left off - Jericho and Rahab the prostitute. Joshua and the Israelites successfully capture Jericho, and Rahab and her family are spared because of her assistance in capturing the city.
Like Us on Facebook
Next is the story of Samson, who was gifted with supernatural strength by God in order to fight the Philistine. "The Bible's" portrayal of Samson was surprising to some because an African-American actor plays him. Samson is predominantly seen in artwork with fair skin.
The Philistines killed Samson's first wife and her father, throwing him into a violent rage. During his revenge killing, Samson meets Delilah, also a Philistine, who later agrees with a Philistine leader's request to find out Samson's weakness in exchange for money.
She ends up cutting Samson's hair, which is something that God forbids him to do, and causes Samson to be of normal strength. In the end, Samson prays to God to return his strength one last time and pushes down pillars in the temple where he was chained.
"The Bible" then moves on to the story of the anointing of Saul as the first anointed king of Israel. Saul soon becomes crazed with jealousy when David becomes more popular among the people because of his victories on the battlefield. Saul and his son Jonathan die in battle and David becomes king.
Much of episode 2 of "The Bible" was dominated by the story of David, from his story as a young shepherd who defeated Goliath, to his being chased by Saul, his ascension to being king, and then David's infamous affair with Bathsheba, who was married to his loyal soldier Uriah.
After David orders his general to abandon Uriah in battle where he subsequently died and Bathsheba gives birth to her child with David, God sends Prophet Nathan to chastise David, telling the king that God knows everything, including David's sins against Bathsheba and Uriah. David and Bathsheba have a child, but the baby dies a few days after its birth as punishment for David's sin.
The second part of "The Bible" closed with the first sighting of the future King Solomon as a child, playing with a small model of the future temple of God that he will build as David and his mother Bathsheba watch by his side.
- Jason Castro Shooting for GMC Movie "The Perfect Summer" / 2013 Tour with Sidewalk Prophets, Ryan Cabrera, Deleasa
- The Lost Medallion: The Adventures of Billy Stone (2013) Releases on DVD at Wal-mart, Watch Trailer (VIDEO)
- David M. Edwards Releases New Gospel Album "Heart Full Of Soul" Today / Available On iTunes
- David Crowder* Band Release New "Greatest Hits" Album Today / Songs Like "How He Loves", "O Praise Him" and "Everything Glorious" Featured on New Album
- The Perry's Joseph Habedank to Step Down as Lead Singer of Gospel Group After 10 Years, Read Full Note Here
- Legendary Vocalist John Schlitt Takes Music To Norway
- Integrity Music Releases Debut From Northern Ireland's Nathan Jess
- IMMERSE Announces Scholarship Opportunities, Partnership with National Praise and Worship Institute
- GAYE ARBUCKLE Releases HOLY
- Red Roots to appear on The American Bible Challenge on GSN
- Second Edition Of Dr. Michael Milton's SILENT NO MORE Releases Amid High-Profile Accolades
- Mars Hill Music's Citizens Releases Self-Titled LP
- All Sons & Daughters Release First Live CD/DVD April 23
- Josh Wilson Releases His Most Personal Record To Date, 'Carry Me,' On Apr. 9
- KEITH ELGIN RELEASES AWARD-WINNING SINGLE TO RADIO
- Darlene Zschech, To Declare The Truth of God - Revealing Jesus, by Melissa Riddle Chalos
Get the latest news from BC in your inbox
- THIS WEEK