“American Idol” Rumors: 5 Backstage Secrets Revealed
1. Keith Urban believes Lazaro Arbos could upset the 'Year of the Girl?"
Since the beginning of Season 12 of American Idol, the girls have showed a strong a shot at breaking the male winning streak. But Keith Urban isn't fooled by some of the exceptional talent from the guys' side.
"There are some really good girls singers, but when you see a guy like Burnell [Taylor] or even more so Lazaro and the way he connects with an audience - he comes out and sings and they go crazy. They love him and the votes have really reflected that," Urban said backstage.
Like Us on Facebook
Could Arbos be the contestant to upset the Year of the Girls?
"He certainly could be," says Urban. "But I love that there's a few in here who could do that if they get the right song and the stars line up. The timing is everything."
2. The new reveal is awkward for contestants, judges and the audience.
The Top 10 reveal show did feel a little awkward. It lacked the drama and tension you feel from similar shows like, "The Voice" and "X Factor." Apparently backstage contestants were overwhelmed with emotions.
"I think that was the ugliest walk I've ever made because I was in the middle of crying and laughing and just thinking of what's going on back home right now," Amber Holcomb joked.
Devin Velez was also overwhelmed after his name was called to sing his victory song.
"I got a little woozy, and Ryan had to shake me, 'Devin, Devin, you have to go on stage.' And the moment the doors open on stage, I just walked out, and I had to put my face in my hands. I just couldn't look. It was unbelievable that all those people were clapping for me because they voted for me."
3. Change is a good thing.
Velez has been using his ability to speak Spanish as a bit of a gimmick. For next week he's deciding to tone it down so America will focus on his performance.
"I'm not going to make it predictable; I want to catch them by surprise. If you make it predictable, you will get voted off."
Velez also mentioned the possibility of doing an entire song in Spanish.
4. Fear Nicki Minaj.
Some of this year's Idol contestants genuinely fear Nicki Minaj as a judge. Though she's one of the most consistently on point members of the panel, her bluntness can be a little intense.
Even Nicki Minaj's self-proclaimed "Marshmallow" country singer Janelle Arthur sweat's Minaj's critiques.
"Even though I know Nicki loves me, I always know that she's looking for that certain thing that makes her love me."
5. No Carrie Underwood songs.
Every blonde country singer that steps on the Idol stage is going to draw comparisons with Carrie Underwood. No exception to the rule, Janelle Arthur is trying hard to distance herself, not planning on any Carrie Underwood renditions anytime soon.
"I'm trying to stay as far away from the Carrie Underwood songs as I can because Carrie is incredible," Arthur said backstage. "I don't want to be compared to Carrie - but of course I'm going to be because I'm blonde and country. But our styles are so different, and that's the good thing about it. Hopefully Nashville has room for another blonde."
- The Perry's Joseph Habedank to Step Down as Lead Singer of Gospel Group After 10 Years, Read Full Note Here
- Legendary Vocalist John Schlitt Takes Music To Norway
- Integrity Music Releases Debut From Northern Ireland's Nathan Jess
- IMMERSE Announces Scholarship Opportunities, Partnership with National Praise and Worship Institute
- Creation Festival 2013 NORTHEAST: June 26-29 in Mt. Union,PA - NORTHWEST: August 7-10 in Enumclaw,WA
- Mark Schultz Says 'I Gave Up' In New Radio Single
- Monroe Hopper Passes Away
- Laurie Cardoza Moore to address WCICC Leadership
- GAYE ARBUCKLE Releases HOLY
- Red Roots to appear on The American Bible Challenge on GSN
- Second Edition Of Dr. Michael Milton's SILENT NO MORE Releases Amid High-Profile Accolades
- Mars Hill Music's Citizens Releases Self-Titled LP
- All Sons & Daughters Release First Live CD/DVD April 23
- Josh Wilson Releases His Most Personal Record To Date, 'Carry Me,' On Apr. 9
- KEITH ELGIN RELEASES AWARD-WINNING SINGLE TO RADIO
- Darlene Zschech, To Declare The Truth of God - Revealing Jesus, by Melissa Riddle Chalos
Get the latest news from BC in your inbox
- THIS WEEK