Hazard, Ky – 2 Killed, 1 Injured in College Parking Lot Shooting
The second school shooting in a little more than month took place late Tuesday night, January 15th, 2013 in the parking lot of Hazard Community and Technical College in eastern Kentucky, killing two and sending another to the hospital.
According to police, the shooting evolved from a dispute between gunman Dalton Stidham and former girlfriend, Caitlin Cornett. The other two victims were identified as Jackie Cornett, Caitlin's 53 year-old uncle and the injured girl, her 12 year-old cousin. The name of the young girl has not been released since being admitted to Kentucky Children's Hospital where she is still in critical condition. She was shot several times.
Like Us on Facebook
Stidham, 21, was charged with two counts of murder and one count of attempted murder, according to Hazard police Chief Minor Allen.
Allen also believes Stidham purchased the semiautomatic pistol found on site, at a nearby pawn shop earlier that day, lending the idea that the shooting was premeditated.
Police believe the dispute escalated from what was supposed to be an exchange in custody of Stidham and Cornett's two year-old son, after separating in October. Fortunately the boy was not injured and remains in custody of social services. However, by a little after 6 p.m., when police arrived, both Jackie and Caitlin Cornett were already dead.
According to the school's President Stephen Greiner, there were roughly 30 or so people on campus when the shooting took place. School was closed Wednesday and plans to re-open Thursday.
- Chris Tomlin Tour Hits The Road with the Burning Lights Tour and Live Concert DVD
- Michael W. Smith Announces 2014 “Michael W. Smith & Friends Cruise” To Alaska
- Holly Starr's 'Don't Have Love' Surpasses 500,000 Youtube Views
- New Artist Julie Elias Set To Perform At LifeLight Festival Memorial Day Weekend
- Christian Musician Summit Launches New Retail Website for Church Musicians
- Toddzero To Release First Full-Length Album On June 4th
- Whosoever South Kicks Off Media Tour in Support of Debut Album
- Chris Tomlin's "Burning Lights Tour" Makes Career History
- GAYE ARBUCKLE Releases HOLY
- Red Roots to appear on The American Bible Challenge on GSN
- Second Edition Of Dr. Michael Milton's SILENT NO MORE Releases Amid High-Profile Accolades
- Mars Hill Music's Citizens Releases Self-Titled LP
- All Sons & Daughters Release First Live CD/DVD April 23
- Josh Wilson Releases His Most Personal Record To Date, 'Carry Me,' On Apr. 9
- KEITH ELGIN RELEASES AWARD-WINNING SINGLE TO RADIO
- Darlene Zschech, To Declare The Truth of God - Revealing Jesus, by Melissa Riddle Chalos
- EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW: Mike Weaver of Big Daddy Weave Speaks on K-Love Fan Nominations, Their Hit Song "Redeemed" & New Music on the Way
- Interview: Bryan Duncan Talks About His New Album "Conversations."
- EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW: Jeremiah Jones Talks About Laura Story's Hit Song, His New Album and Song Writing
Get the latest news from BC in your inbox
- THIS WEEK