With a goal of providing access to new music, professional development, spiritual renewal, and networking opportunities for those working in all styles of gospel music, the GMA will offer programming specifically for artists and industry professionals with black gospel and urban music affiliations at GMA Music Week 2007, to be held in Nashville from April 21-25, 2007. The next registration deadline for GMA Music Week 2007 is Monday, March 12. Click here for more information or to register online.
GMA Music Week will feature a variety of programs led by urban professionals as well as important educational seminars that apply to all music professionals.
With literally hundreds of exclusive music performances, leading keynote speakers and a diversity of professional, educational and spiritual seminars, GMA Music Week is the only event of its kind that brings together all facets of the Christian and gospel music industry: agents, signed artists, independent artists, church leaders, managers, promoters, radio personnel, record company executives, retailers, songwriters, and other industry visionaries. The week will culminate on April 25 with the 38th Annual GMA Dove Awards, hosted by Donnie McClurkin, Natalie Grant and Brian Littrell. Click here for more on the 38th Annual GMA Dove Awards.
“I would like to see GMA Music Week attendance mirror the diversity reflected in the Billboard Top Christian and Gospel Albums charts and that means artists and professionals in the black gospel and urban music community are an important audience for GMA,” John W. Styll, president and CEO of the GMA, said.
He added, “GMA Music Week is a time for the entire Christian/Gospel music industry to gather together to listen to new music; to learn new ways of doing business; to renew the passion for our music; and to connect with more than 3,000 fellow industry peers. We hope that the targeted opportunities we have provided will give an added incentive for increased participation from the black gospel and urban community.”
Juanita Bynum, Kierra "KiKi" Sheard, Group 1 Crew, MC Lyte, Myron Butler and Darlene McCoy are among the artists confirmed so far to perform during GMA Music Week, with additional artists still to be added. The world famous Fisk Jubilee Singers will be the featured music during Monday Morning Live, the annual meeting for the GMA members.
A sampling of seminar opportunities during GMA Music Week include:
- "Blurring Genre Lines: Reaching Beyond Your Market." A panel of top artists with diverse fan bases share their opportunities and challenges of reaching other markets. Participants include Jeff Moseley, President/Founder, INO Records. Kirk Franklin, Zomba Label Group recording artist; Carla Williams, VP/GM, Fo Yo Soul Entertainment and Jim Chaffee, President, Chaffee Management Group.
- "Still Standing: Rebuilding, Renewal & Revival in the Midst of a Storm." Bishop Paul S. Morton, lost his church, his home, family and friends during Hurricane Katrina and has used the catastrophe to instill hope in people who are at a turning point in their lives. You will be inspired by Bishop Morton whose story of rebuilding has uplifted and encouraged people worldwide.
- "Making the Cut: Prepare To Get Noticed by the Majors." A panel of industry professionals representing management, labels, publishing, booking agencies, publicity, and radio promotions will share ideas on how unsigned and independent artists can get noticed by major music labels. Participants include: Deborah Evans Price, Billboard columnist/freelance writer, Greg Lucid, Lucid Artist Management, Otto Price, Word Label Group and Ross Asher, Brentwood-Benson Music Publishing.
- "Behind the Music – Today’s Top Producers Tackle the Tough Issues." What are some ways to survive as a producer in today's music culture? Louis "Buster" Brown, award-winning producer for BeBe & CeCe Winans, God’s Property and Trin-i-tee 5:7 will moderate a panel of renowned music producers to discuss ways the producer can be effective beyond the studio experience. Producer panel includes James "Big Jim" Wright, Tony Stone, Walter Kearney, J Moss, & Paul Allen of PAJAM, and Antonio Neal.
- "Marketing to the Urban Market." The urban marketplace represents billions of dollars. Come hear industry experts share insights of marketing to this growing and diverse demographic at a seminar moderated by Shawn Tate, President of Tate & Associates, Inc.
For more information or to register online for GMA Music Week 2007, click here